French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

My aunt passed a year ago (a French citizen) and my cousin…

Customer Question
My aunt passed a year...
My aunt passed a year ago (a French citizen) and my cousin (american) has inherited her assets (a Paris apartment and a house in Dreux). She hasn't filed any paperwork and has no idea what to do, and is in no emotional place to deal with it. I've offered to help her take care of everything, and she has agreed to provide me with "power of attorney" to do so on her behalf. Need some direction on next steps. Also would like some guidance on the inheritance tax laws so we can estimate what she's going to owe, and when she will need to pay.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: French Law
3/20/2011
Barrister: TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour) replied 7 years ago
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)

TKenney, Ph.D. :

In French inheritance law, one can not disinherit one’s child (or children), at least 25% of the total assest of the estate will have to go to the child (or children) no matter what the WILL stipulates. So if the Aunt has any children this 25% will apply to the assest in France.

The niece will have to pay 55% of total value of the asset in French inheritance taxes.

These taxes will be due 6 months after the death if the deceased was residing in France at the time of death and 12 months if the deceased was residing abroad at the time of death. There must be a declaration (registration, of the Estate (and payment of the inheritance taxes if applicable) to the French Tax authority no later than six (or twelve) months after death. Any payment after the sixth (or twelfth) month after death would be subject to heavy late penalty fines. So you must react fast.

TKenney, Ph.D.