French Law

Have French Law Questions? Ask an French Lawyer Now.

French Law

my step mum suffers severe short term memory loss and Im worried

Customer Question
my step mum suffers severe...
my step mum suffers severe short term memory loss and I'm worried she has dementia. She can't remember one thing from a shopping list that she has made but is not liable to leave cooking on the hob. If it is discussed she becomes furious and upset. she is unable to remember consectutive numbers. She is 63 and living in france. How can I help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: French Law
3/14/2011
Barrister: TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour) replied 6 years ago
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)

TKenney, Ph.D. :

As you know, our society promotes autonomy and ability to live alone. When a person leaves his/her home to live, for example, with a son or daughter or an institution of long-term care is often perceived as a loss of independence. However, this view may be inaccurate because the move to these places can offer the person, not only better support and greater security, but also an environment that promotes independence.

On a legal point of view, in French law, children have an obligation to take care of their parents if their parents can not takes care of them selves. You will be obligated to take care of your mother if she has dementia. You should contact a French medical doctor (in France and preferably a specialist) and together with your mother try to decide if your mother can continue to live alone, if it is recommended that she not live alone, if she will need home assistance, or if she should be placed in an institution. People with dementia need to live in an environment that ensures the best possible safety and quality of life. In French law, you will be responsibly for your mother’s safety.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I hope I answered your question. If so please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button, otherwise I shall not get any credit for my work. I will be happy to answer any follow-up question you might have.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button, otherwise I shall not get any credit for my work. I will be happy to answer any follow-up question you might have.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

hello

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I hope I answered your question. If so please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button, otherwise I shall not get any credit for my work. I will be happy to answer any follow-up question you might have afterward.

TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D.