Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2015 Ford Edge. The tail lights will not go off…

I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 Ford Edge. The tail lights will not go off when we turn the car off.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your tail lights? Do they flicker at all?

Apprently four days ago when we parked it at an airport. When we tried to start it this evening to go home, the battery was dead. We got a boost. All the way home the RPM fluctuated between high and low. When we arrived home, the tailgate lights would not go off. Apparently that is what drained the battery when it was parked at the airport.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2015 Ford Edge?

70,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Ford Edge Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

As far as we know, the lights and the RPM issue are all we're having trouble with.

6/27/2022
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I am here to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your vehicle. I will do my best to give you the correct answer. Please allow me a few minutes in between our responses to review your information. I may ask several questions to get more details about your problem. While you are waiting for me to respond, I am looking up the workshop manuals and wiring diagrams needed to answer your concerns.

The website will prompt a phone call automatically, not me. So please don't let this automatic service prompt annoy you. If you prefer to talk versus type, please use the phone call option

Are the parking lights staying on or are the brake lights staying on.

See if the third brake light is on at the top of the rear liftgate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. You know my problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe they are the tail lights. We start the car, put it in reverse and a different set of lights come on when it press the break.There is a third light on at the top of the lift gate.

Reach under the dash and unplug the brake light switch. It is right on top of the brake pedal. It is a blue plastic switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unable to unplug it

It has a small release tab on it that has to be pushed down to unplug it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It won't budge

Remove fuse 54 in the engine bay fuse box and see if the lights go out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is engine bay fuse box?It's nighttime here and very difficult to see. And I know almost nothing about cars.

It is under the hood just behind the drivers side headlight. Below is a diagram of the fuse box showing where fuse 54 is. It is in the lower right corner of the diagram.

You can check it tomorrow. I will be back online after 6:30 PM CST after I get off of work.

Just reply back on this page.

A. Penland
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That turned them offThanks for your help. I'll probably call the local dealership tomorrow to take it in.
Your very welcome. 

The problem is the brake light switch. You can replace it yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Sent the car to the local dealership this morning.

OK.

You're welcome.