Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1976 ford mustang 2 battery works but car is dead. I replace…

1976 ford mustang 2...

1976 ford mustang 2 battery works but car is dead. I replace solenoid, negative battery cable and checked the fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time solenoid was replaced? Do you need help finding the exact parts?

I replaced it today

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 1976 Mustang?

It's an engine in a kit car and has 18,000 miles on it. I also cleaned the wires and replaced some of the connectors going to the solenoid. Car has been running fine for years. Seems like an electrical issue

6/26/2022
Ford Mechanic: J Hall, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
J Hall
J Hall, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to try and assist you with this no start/no power issue.  Since you have replaced parts to no avail, you will now have to test the electrical circuits with a multimeter.  Do you have a meter, and do you know how to use it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a meter but need help using it.Do you want me to upload pictures or facetime?

No problem.  You said this is a kit car, yet you also said it is a 1976 Mustang II.  Can you be more specific about what you have?  Is the engine a 1976 out of a Mustang II?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The kit is of a 1929 Mercedes Roadster similar to a Gazelle and has a 1976 Ford Mustang 2 engine 2.8L

Okay.  And what is the wiring harnesses out of?  Did they come with the kit as well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The battery works and the speedometer moves up a little but the radio doesn't go on and seems dead with no soundThe car was professionally built in 1985 and has been running great until nowIs there a way I can show you pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like. The battery is in the trunk.

I see.  Use your meter on the 12 or 20 volt DC scale (VDC or DCV depending on which meter you have) and test across the battery terminals.  And yes, pictures would be great.  Also send me a clear picture of the front of the meter you are using, please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I am taking pics to upload

No worries.  Not going anywhere for awhile.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
File attached (MG3Q7Q5)
IMG_0606.jpgIMG_0606.jpgIMG_0600.jpgIMG_0600.jpgIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0587.jpgIMG_0587.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0603.jpg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery is at 8.20

And that is volts?

Show me the meter, please?

That voltage is too low.  The battery is discharged.  You will need to have the battery fully charged and tested properly.  I suggest you remove it and take it to AutoZone or O'Rielly's for the charge and testing.  If the battery is more than three years old, replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a chargerIt may be low since I've been working on the car

How old is the battery?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's not oldI just try to jump start it and it's making a loud clicking noiseIs that the starter or something else?I replaced the solenoidThis time it didn't make a clicking noise but didn't seem to have enough power to start

Please understand.  The battery is severely discharged.  You will need to have it fully charged and properly tested to make sure it can handle the load of the starter and all the electrical systems.  Do yourself this favor, or just replace the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

My pleasure.  Once you are sure you have a good battery, and you still have problems, please contact me through this chat box and I will do what I can to assist you.  Until then, I wish you all the best on this concern.  Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J Hall
J Hall, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It worked. I put a new battery in it. Thanks- I'm planning on putting new rear shock absorbers on next which just seems like two bolts and locktight grease. The engine has a chain timing belt. Does this need to replaced? I'm sure it has never been replaced. I bought this car 12 years ago and I've never replaced it. Anything else? The car has been working pretty well and I keep replacing parts as I go. There are some minor oil leaks but that's to be expected for such an old engine.

I wouldn't worry about the timing chain unless you have running problems  I'm glad the battery solved your immediate issue.  Let me know if you get stuck on anything else.  If you need to open a new thread, and would like to talk only to me, just ask for me by name, J Hall only, and I will be the only one who answers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great thanks

My pleasure.  Good luck.