Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Ford F150 I have a slow coolant leak I'm going…

I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 Ford F150 I have a slow coolant leak I'm going to add a bottle of Blue Devil Head gasket seal it says I have to pour it into the upper radiator hose any advice or tips please

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has the coolant been leaking? Do you also notice an odd, sweet smell when you turn off the engine?

About 2 weeks white smoke coming out if tailpipe no smell

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2013 F150?

146,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford F150 Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I had it in the shop they did a pressure test on it all day yesterday coolant went down about 1/2 inch

6/25/2022
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I am here to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your vehicle. I will do my best to give you the correct answer. Please allow me a few minutes in between our responses to review your information. I may ask several questions to get more details about your problem. While you are waiting for me to respond, I am looking up the workshop manuals and wiring diagrams needed to answer your concerns.

The website will prompt a phone call automatically, not me. So please don't let this automatic service prompt annoy you. If you prefer to talk versus type, please use the phone call option

What engine does your F150 have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3.5L V6 146,000 MILES

Is it a standard V6 or is it Ecoboost?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
EcoBoost

These engine are not really known for head gasket problems. They are known for water pump leaks and turbos seals going bad causing coolant or oil entering the cylinders causing smoke.

Before adding the head gasket seal, I would first recommend doing a cooling system block test which checks for combustion gases entering the cooling system.

Also, if coolant was entering the cylinder, you would definitely smell it out he exhaust as a sweet smell.

A. Penland
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mechanic did a Cooling system test on Wednesday he told me it can internal leak somewhere I have not lost much coolant since but still getting the smoke at start up yesterday I had a huge cloud of white smoke come out it always goes away after a few minutes

Check the oil level on the engine.

A cooling system pressure test and a cooling system block test are completely different. The pressure test puts pressure on the cooling system to force coolant through leaks.

The cooling system block test uses a dye in a glass cylinder that changes color if combustion gases are in the cooling system from a failed head gasket.

Also, if the smoke in the morning does not have a sweet smell to it, it may be an oil leak from one of the turbo impeller seals.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can i do the block test myself is the truck safe to keep driving?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oil level looks good to me why does mainly happen in the morning and why does it go away after a few minutes

Oil leaking and and setting into a place. When the engine is running, it is constantly burning off. But when you turn the engine off, the oil leak causes a puddle to form, and the when you start the engine, it is sent into the combustion chambers and burned causing smokel.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I keep running the truck until I can get back into the shop?

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks Anthony for your help will contact you if I have anymore questions after I do the block test

Sounds good.

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm glad I asked you first in really not to hesitant to put that block sealer in there are alot of good reviews on it but also a few bad ones but if it is a head gasket leak I'm going to try it not sticking $3000 into a head gasket job

I like to be definite on the cause before throwing parts at a problem. Or even Bandaides.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm still confused on the tailpipe smoke I have not lost any coolant and oil level is ok what else would cause the smoke?

It can only be coolant or oil, if it was fuel you would smell fuel from the tail pipes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only smell I smell from the pipe is a fuel smell

Do you have a problem starting the engine in the morning or if it sit for several hours?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Is the fuel smell constant or just on start up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From what I feel just on start up it runs rough at start up smoke comes out then it's fine after that

That can be caused by a leaking fuel injector dripping fuel into the cylinder..

There could be a trouble code in the PCM for a miss fire on start up.

And to create a plume of smoke from the tail pipe on start up, there has to be  quite a lot of fuel in the cylinder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The plume of smoke has happened 3 times big cloud of smoke do you think that's what the problem is

If it smells like fuel, yes.

But I am still curious about the coolant leak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My coolant level has not gone down at all since I had it in the shop on Wednesday

Then you will have to get the PCM scanned fro trouble codes to see if there are any miss fire codes present.