Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 F150, 3.5L by with EcoBoost. Truck blows

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 F150, 3.5L by with EcoBoost. Truck blows continuous heavy white smoke. Oil on the ground on right side (passenger side). I also hear a hum and have low power when driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you first notice oil leaking? Do you smell burning oil while driving?

When I started noticing the smoke, I drove it to Auto Zone to have a diagnostics check. They said it was the MAF sensor. I cleanded then and ran it for a while to clear out the smoke. It didn't help. That's when I noticed the oil on the ground. There's no coolant mixed with the oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2012 F150?

150k

Mechanic's Assistant: Sure thing. Is there anything else the truck Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thank you. I can't think of anything else.

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2022
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I am here to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your vehicle. I will do my best to give you the correct answer. Please allow me a few minutes in between our responses to review your information. I may ask several questions to get more details about your problem. While you are waiting for me to respond, I am looking up the workshop manuals and wiring diagrams needed to answer your concerns.

The website will prompt a phone call automatically, not me. So please don't let this automatic service prompt annoy you. If you prefer to talk versus type, please use the phone call option

The cause of the white smoke and the oil leak is from the turbo on the passenger side.

The inner oil seals are failing and causing the turbo to pull the oil from the crankcase and back into the engine and then out the exhaust. You will have to have the passenger side turbo replaced to repair this concern.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Typing is fine. Thank you.

Please ignore the phone call messages. They are automated from the website, not me. I do not do phone calls.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you. The turbo has to be replaced? Not just replace the seals?

If the seals are bad, the impeller bearings are bad and that is what is causing the humming noise. The seals are not serviceable, the whole turbo will have to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this a fix that a backyard mechanic can do, or do I have to take it to a mechanic? I am very mechanically inclined and I have limited funds.

You can do it if you are up to the challenge.

You will basically be working through the passenger side inner fenderwell.

It is best to remove the right front tire, the right front inner fenderwell to access the turbo mounting bolts and hardware,

Below are the directions from Ford's service manual.

Along with a new turbo and the gaskets, you will need the exhaust flange and 2 studs to bolt the converter pipe to the turbo. They do not come with the turbo and 99% of the time the old studs will not come out.

A. Penland
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha! Thanks again. Have a great day!

You are very welcome.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would it be better to replace both turbos or can I get by with just replacing the one. I've had issues with power since about 3 months after purchasing this truck new in 2012. The Ford dealership initially told me that it was the turbos and replaced a sensor and shield a couple different times. The issue was never resolved.

They are not cheap, but you can replace both turbos.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.

below are the directions for the drivers side just in case you do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Please keep me informed if you need more help with the turbo concern.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. Thanks.

Thank you.