Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 ford ranger auto 4cyd. coolant thermostat

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 ford ranger auto 4cyd . coolant thermostat bolts are stripped. about how much that repair would cost??

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time that was replaced? Do you need help finding necessary parts?

Used truck had 3 years

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2008 Ranger?

160025

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Failed inpection recently

10/26/2021
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your vehicle. I'm Pete. I will be happy to assist you with your question. May I ask to whom I have the pleasure of speaking with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jason Parker

Hello Jason. Nice to hear from you today! I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem with your Ford Ranger. I know this can be frustrating.

Are the heads of the thermostat bolts stripped out to where nothing can grasp them to remove them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they said bolts are stripped and will be a big problem if forced out

Thank you for your reply and that information as this does help me better understand the situation. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. I’ll be right back!

Thank you for holding Jason!

Since the bolts are stripped what will need to be done is they will need to attempt to drill out the old bolts and then install new threads into the front cover of the engine to then reinstall the thermostat housing properly. This type of repair can cost around $300 to $400. This is the easier repair. If they are not able to drill out the bolts or if the front cover becomes damaged when they attempt to repair it then the front cover will need to be replaced. This can cost over $800 to have it replaced and the thermostat housing attached to the new front cover. Unfortunately, this is not an easy repair and in many cases, it ends up costing the larger amount. I wish I had some better news to give you on this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok they said $400 and better to take to dealership which will be MORE! thank you

You are most welcome Jason!

Glad I could be of some help today! I hope everything works out well for you! If there are any additional questions on this issue that should arise, please feel free to reply and ask!

Have a great day!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your questions!

Pete, Auto Service Technician