MICHAEL
MICHAEL, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lead technician at Roosters autocare
106262581

2005 Ford Explorer transmission will not take gear? Fluid

Customer Question

2005 Ford Explorer transmission will not take gear?
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Fluid level is good.changed fluids and filter about 4000 miles ago.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fluid and pulled pan to check for metal . Nothing bad far as I can see.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Reverse was acting up month or so back.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  MICHAEL replied 13 days ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mike, thanks for giving us the opportunity help you with your question. Sorry to hear you are having transmission trouble today. How many miles are on the transmission? When you pulled the pan did it look like the filter was in correctly? Was there any chance it was loose and not allowing fluid to be sucked up into pump?. Next step at this point is to get the transmission control module scanned to see if we have any trouble codes that may help us. You will need a dealership level scan tool for this, the cheap code readers do not have capabilities to get into any modules other than the engine control module. Please let me know any other questions you have.

Expert:  MICHAEL replied 11 days ago.

Hello just wanted to fallow up and see if there were any other questions I could help with? If so please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Went ahead and changed the transmission control module. But nothing changed until I lifted all the wheels off the floor and revved it while in drive and after a few times to listen for sounds of something happening, it caught gear and tires went to spinning. It is hard shifting into 2nd gear but it still has too much fluid in the transmission. I ran out of time as it was too late to keep working on it. So, I’ve parked it until I can drain it to the right level. Probably going to get a new transmission for it if the fluid level doesn’t fix the other issue.
Expert:  MICHAEL replied 11 days ago.
Ok, sounds like your on the right track. Let me know if there are any questions or service information needed. Have a great Thanksgiving!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too.