AutoDoc1
AutoDoc1, ASE Master Certified Technician.
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
104489976

2011 Edge, brake pedal very soft, I have replaced the brake

2011 Edge, brake pedal very soft, I have replaced the brake booster and it didn't change anything. Is there a way to test the ABS module?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: No fluid leaks, and no noise.
JA: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a Ford dealer to have the booster replaced. They said it could be the master cylinder or ABS module, and that there was no way to test them. It seems like there should be a way to trouble shoot this .
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is AutoDoc1 and I will be able to assist you. During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer.

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem.

My goal is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible.

It is possible to test these components by using a pressure gauge inline with the brake system. This will allow you to see what the pressure is. Testing of the ABS pump assembly typically only to see if it has any electrical faults. The pressure gauge can be used to see if the pressure coming out of the ABS unit is even on all four fluid circuits to the wheels. If there is a pressure differentiation then that would indicate a problem with the pump. Typically if the pedal is soft there is air in the system and it needs to be bled to get the air out. It can also be soft if the master cylinder has an internal leak and the fluid is bypassing the normal circuits which would cause pressure loss and create a soft pedal. If there is no air in the system, then the most likely cause would be the master cylinder.