john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2006 F150 5.4 I filled up my gas tank and while driving my

Customer Question

2006 F150 5.4 I filled up my gas tank and while driving my fuel gauge went to empty and my mileage to empty quit working ?
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 4 days ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** i will try to help you with this problem. was the gas tank level very low before you refill your tank?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Near empty

ok sometimes a drastic change of fuel level movement to the float level can cause the sensor to go bad or the float arm to brake off.

have you try resetting the float module with a battery disconnect procedure?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Never seen or heard of that !
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No just with the key

OK lest disconnect the battery negative side for 3 minutes and reconnect see if this resets the module and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are these trucks known for bad clusters ? Senders ? Wiring ?

yes they have problems but is best to start low and not misdiagnose this problem

lest do the battery disconnect first and take it from there.

take your time.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok same results
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Didn’t change or help anything

ok is the fuel level light on also?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yea

Disconnect the instrument cluster connection and measure resistance between the Yellow/White (YE/WH) wire at pin 10 and the Black/Orange (BK/OG) wire at pin 8 of the C220b cluster connection. Resistance should indicate a reading of 15 ohms empty to 160 ohms full.
If the resistance shows to be ok, it would suggest either there is an issue of the cluster or cluster connection.
If resistance is low for the amount of fuel in the tank, disconnect the sending unit and recheck the reading at the cluster connection to verify that the circuits no longer show any continuity between each other. If the circuits continue to show resistance between each other with the cluster and the sending unit disconnected, service the circuits for a short to each other. The YE/WH wire should also be checked for a potential short to body ground with the sending unit disconnected. Run a new circuit between the cluster and sending unit connection as needed.
If the sending unit resistance is low but the YE/WH wire does not show continuity to ground or the BK/OG wire with the sending unit unplugged, there is an issue with the sending unit.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I read there is a connector by the drivers door floor are you familiar with this

yes thats the main wiring to the back lights and fuel senders sometimes water filtrates the connectors or wires and shorts them out but is under the carpet, just pull the carpet and see if any water under the carpet and if not then thats not the problem.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is it under the floor sill ?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Door sill plastic cover ?

To be more specific on the location of C11 connector i will need to look up locations on the service manual and this will have to wait until tomorrow , I will contact you with the information and what needs to be check.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you !

NP

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
There is a black plastic cover on side of frame connector is inside of frame ! Under drivers door .
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 days ago.

that fix was for an 2005 to 2006 F250, C211 is a connector between instrument panel and the body harness, but is only in the F250 and F550 models not on the F150. this problem does not pertain to your model sorry.

Disconnect the instrument cluster connection and measure resistance between the Yellow/White yellow and white wire at pin 10 and the black and orange wire at pin 8 of the C220b cluster connection. Resistance should indicate a reading of 15 ohms empty to 160 ohms full.
If the resistance shows to be OK, it would suggest either there is an issue of the cluster or cluster connection.
If resistance is low for the amount of fuel in the tank, disconnect the sending unit and recheck the reading at the cluster connection to verify that the circuits no longer show any continuity between each other. If the circuits continue to show resistance between each other with the cluster and the sending unit disconnected, service the circuits for a short to each other. The yellow and white wire should also be checked for a potential short to body ground with the sending unit disconnected. Run a new circuit between the cluster and sending unit connection as needed.
If the sending unit resistance is low but the yellow and white wire does not show continuity to ground or the black and orange wire with the sending unit unplugged, there is an issue with the sending unit.

let me opt out maybe another expert may have a better idea with this problem.

Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 3 days ago.

generally its a failed fuel level sensor in the fuel tank..

Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 day ago.

any luck?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Yes it was a bad frame to body ground ! Thanks

awesome glad it is fixed

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thanks

your welcome