Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Friend has an 89 F 250 diesel that does not charge though…

Friend has an 89...

Friend has an 89 F 250 diesel that does not charge though the alternator tested as good on the bench. What should he check next? Is there a switch/ shunt that could have gone bad to prevent a power surge from hurting the computers?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Not my truck so I not sure but possibly consistent. Can you tell me what he should check for either/ both scenarios?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

89 f 250 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

1989. Has evidentally over 300,000 miles but he can't afford a newer one. It also has*****I believe.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it belongs to a friend and I just wondered about issues that typically go wrong so I could give him an idea of what to try next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It starts up fine when the batteries are charged but will not keep running so somehow the juice from the alternator is not powering the battery or any of the accesories/lights.

12/5/2018
Ford Mechanic: Michael Broughton, Auto Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Michael Broughton
Michael Broughton, Auto Mechanic

Morning sir, this is Michael, i am an actual mechanic and i am willing to get you info about your friend's charging problem. are you still wanting some assistance?

alright, i will get you some good info on things to test and how to do it, fixing a charging system will not be too complicated/difficult.

so, the very first thing to check will be the big post on the alternator, Key off engine off. the big post on the alternator (Black wire with orange stripe) should have battery voltage at all times, if it does not, inspect the wire and pay particular attention to the "fusable link" in the wire, they burn/break sometimes. it will look like a larger area of the wire with a molded rubber body, approx 1 inch long and fatter than the wire. (more to follow)

If that isn't it ( he had a similar problem before and I remember him saying he replaced a fuse) what else should he check?
If he has already done that what would be the next place to look?

if alternator tests good and voltage regulator is good, and battery voltage is good on the big post, the ONLY thing left is wiring between between the alt, voltage regulator, and the battery. i will attach a wiring diagram which is fairly simple to read. it shows the entire charging circuit.

if you take a look at the diagram, you'll see that there really isn't anything else involved (except servicable wiring to provide the connections). The connection for/to the charging indicator isn't needed for charging to occur, neither is the noise capacitor.

this could be as simple as a dirty/corroded connection on a single wire to the voltage regulator.

I hope i have helped. i'll check back in a bit to see if you need more info or if you were able to rate my service.

Thank you. I'm going to print out the chat and the diagram for him.

excellent, when you get a chance, please pick how many stars i deserve, i do not get compensated for helping if i'm not rated. when you rate me, we will still be able to communicate on here and i will still assist. happy fixing!

Michael Broughton
Michael Broughton, Auto Mechanic