Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 76 ford inline 6 that cranks but wont start and…

Customer Question
I have a 76...

I have a 76 ford inline 6 that cranks but wont start and run. It has spark at the plugs and gets fuel. Are the valves needing adjusting or is there something else wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '76 Ford?

It is a stationary engine for an irrigation system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put in a new coil, points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap and plugs. the fuel is natural gas and it flows well through the carburetor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything else.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
6/30/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need. The Web Site will prompt a phone call , I'll let you know if it's needed.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, proper fuel to the carb and out to each cylinder and good engine compression. If you are sure you have good spark and fuel then the next step would be to remove the spark plugs from all cylinders and run a compression test. In order for the engine to start you need at least 110 PSI in each cylinder. Let's run the compression test and see what you have.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Compression on all 6 cyl ranged from 120 to 135 psi

Okay then if you are sure you have good spark at the spark plug and fuel through the carb into the cylinders then the engine should start. Does it even attempt to start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked the spark by taking the plug out and grounding it to the engine. All 6 plugs had spark at the electrode. Not pure blue but consistent and strong enough to fire the cylinder. The fuel is natural gas. I took the diaphragm off and got flow thru the carb. Would that be enough to determine if both systems are ok?

I would suspect that is you have good spark and compression then the problem is with the Propane system. Will it run if you spray the carb with a little carb cleaner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Carb cleaner did cause the engine to fire on any cylinders

Is that no it will not run on added fuel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct

Well, that's pretty odd if you are sure you have good spark and compression the engine should run. I suspect you have a fuel issue here but I am not familiar with the older Propane system so I'm going to open this back up for you and hopefully someone else can help you with this.

Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

How much gap will the spark jump to ground while cranking?

Hold a lead 1/2 inch away from engine ground.

Testing with a spark plug is not good enough.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards.

Gary