Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Its broken. 04 excursion. Almost everything. I will write…

04 excursion Mechanic's Assistant:...

04 excursion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, almost everything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I will write later

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Please tell me what size engine is in your truck and what you are having a problem with.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
6.0 diesel

And what are you having trouble with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am having a no start condition
truck would randomly die but would always restart after a few tries, but yesterday it died and now wont start. I will add that I no longer have fuel pressure

What all have you done to try to fix it at this point?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 12 volts to the power side of the inertia switch but nothing going out. Also I was wondering, when I jumper the wires for the switch the voltage goes from 12 to 0
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
truck has a new IPR, HPOP, ICP, CAM and CRANK pos sensors, FICM, and engine wiring harness. All PIDs are in the desired ranges, and the only code is P0231 fuel pump secondary low voltage

Do you have duel tanks?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, excursions do not have dual tanks

Can you unplug the pcm and see if you still lose voltage on the out side of the inertia switch or if you jump it? You will have to jump out pins 30 and 87 at the fuel pump relay to do this test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I access the fuel pump relay? it is built into the fuse box and is not serviceable

That is right. You will have to jump 12 volts to the in side of the inertia switch and test the out put.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
even if i show 12v in already? I need to bring in an alternate supply?

Yes. With the pcm unplugged, the relay will not get the ground form the pcm to activate the relay to power up the inertia switch feed wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as you are looking at the pcm plugs, which one do I unplug? I assume it is the far right but would like confirmation

Unplug all of the plugs to the pcm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, once I test this, lets assume the pump runs, what would be next? I cannot do these tests right now, I am at work and just trying to get a game plan of the correct steps.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
conversely if it does not run

If you do not loose voltage as you did before, then you have a short in the pcm. If it does not run still, then the pink with a black strip wire from the inertia switch tot he fuel pump or pcm has a short in it.

If you still loose voltage, unplug the fuel pump wire harness at the fuel tank and retest. This will tell you if the problem is at the fuel pump, or in the wire harness for the truck itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my rear fuel pump runs, it is only the high pressure pump that does not

If you still loose voltage, unplug the fuel pump wire harness at the fuel pump and retest. This will tell you if the problem is at the fuel pump, or in the wire harness for the truck itself.

I am sorry my fingers run faster then my brain some times. I meant to say unplug the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you explain why the voltage drops from 12 to 0 when I bypass the inertia switch?

There has to be a short in the system, and the inertia switch is probably burnt out and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if there is a short to ground it will go to 0? and the switch tests out fine 0 ohms resistance with the button pressed, and OL or open when tripped
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me just make sure I have this all correct...
unplug all 3 pcm plugs and send 12v from the battery to the inertia IN side. If the pump runs then the PCM is toast. If the pump still does not run then I have to find the pink/black stripe wire short/break?

You do know that the fuel pump relay is only active for 5 seconds after the ignition switch id turned to the run position unless the pcm sees a rpm signal correct? And the inertia switch can still be bad and ohm out good. I have had to replace many of them that would ohm out but would not let voltage through. And yes you are correct, but you need to bypass the inertia switch as I believe that it is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is actually active for 20 on the diesel, but yes I do know that

You have to remember that voltage is pushed through metal, and an ohms test just checks for connectivity so it can ohm out, but not let voltage pass through it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gotcha

Let me know how the testing comes out tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
FYI, I do have an inertia switch, PCM, and wiring harness to the fuel pump on the way.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will let you know, thanks for the help.

You are very welcome.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long will this chat thread stay active?

As long as you need me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok just checking

Not a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so I applied 12v to the inertia outlet wire (since we think the switch may be bad) and the pump comes on and I have fuel pressure.

With the computer unplugged?

That was what i was afraid of. I hate to say it but I believe that the computer is your problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a new (refurbished) pcm already ordered, so that is no big deal, but is there any other wiring I need to check to eliminate any other possibilities?

If all you did was unplug the computer and you did not have a voltage drop when you bypassed the inertia switch, the problem HAS to be in the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, great, well I will just wait for it to arrive and then I will txt you back after install. One other quick question, even though they are programming the PCM to my VIN will I still have to have a reprogram done because of the PATS?

Now that I am not sure of. I do not deal with pats systems. But let me see what I can find out for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

You will need to have a lock smith come out and program the pats system. Do you have two working keys for the truck?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do

That is a good thing, as you have to have two keys to reprogram the pats system. Now for the bad news, even though the computer may come programmed you may still have to have the pids programmed. To do this you will need to have some one upload the data from your old pcm and download them into the new one, and I hate to say it but ford is the best place to have this done. But do not get upset yet. Install the new pcm and get it running. If the abs or transmission do not act correctly, then you will have to have the tire size programmed into the new pcm, but this data may be in it correctly when they flash it, you will just have to wait and see when you install the new pcm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, we just wait and see then. Thanks

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you available?

Yes I am.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I am hoping you answer this question the way I want you too. If the pcm/PATS needs to be programmed to match my keys, will that keep the fuel pump from running?

NO. If the pats system is activated and the key is not recognized, the starter will not even activate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Theft light is flashing rapidly, as we assumed it would.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right, but will the FP run?

No it will not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, whew, so there is still hope for the PCM fixing the problem. I will update you tomorrow if I can get a mobile locksmith to the house. Thanks again, and again.

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cannot get the truck in for programming until next Tuesday, I will reply with results.

That is a long time to wait.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I might check another dealer. I have to tow it to a different town because the general manager of dealer where I live told me to never bring my truck back to them.

You do not have a lock smith near you that can program it for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I highly doubt any of the ones here have IDS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is only 1 genuine locksmith and he is very old school, the other ones are just towing companies that will help you unlock your car.

Call O'reillys and ask to speak to the parts pro. He should know of some one close that can program it for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

If he does not know of anyone, call around to the used car lots. I am sure they have some one that comes out and does there keys for them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lol, the Oreillys guy had no clue what I was talking about, said probably dealer only.

You have to call the parts pro that works mornings.

The regular parts counter guys do not know anything.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was the most senior guy there, he said they used to do flashing years ago but can’t do any programming anymore, they can’t even clear codes

The parts pro that works mornings is the one that sells parts to all the shops in town. His only job is dealing with the commercial accounts. He does not work nights.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, good to know

He should know who you need to call.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thursday it is

That will save you a little bit of money not going to the dealer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only issue is I still have to have it towed there, and if the PCM ends up not being the problem I will have to tow it back home. At least if it is at the dealer they could look at it. I’m about out of ideas.

The parts pro should know some one that will come to your truck and program it for you. That way you do not have to tow it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ahhh, yes sorry, lost my head for a second.

Lets see what they tell you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4th of July, have to wait till thursday

O'reillys should be open tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are but the parts pro is off, I called back and asked

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about any other parts store? Autozone, Napa, Advance

I do not think they have a parts pro.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New PCM is in and programmed. Still won’t start. Still throwing P0231

Does the voltage at the inertia switch still do the same thing it was doing with the computer plugged up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not know, but I’m guessing yes since the stealership told me it would turn over but the FP would not kick on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did swap out the inertia switch though FYI

This makes no sense. If the fuel pump will work with the pcm unplugged, but will not work with the new pcm installed and programmed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But my output wire from the inertia switch is reading 0 or grounding out with everything plugged in. Where does the output wire run to and from? Is there any other splices?

The output wire goes to the fuel pump and the pcm. If there was a short in the wire harness even with the pcm unplugged you would still get a ground to the fuel pump and the fuel pump would not power up when you add voltage to the wire. Where did you get the new pcm?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if the wire to the pcm was what is grounding out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Flagship one

Yes that is correct. If the wire to the pcm was grounding out, then you still would not have had power to the fuel pump with the pcm unplugged as the wire would have still be shorted to a ground. The pcm MUST be grounding this wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I unplug the PCM and try the key? Will that work to run the FP?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To try and isolate the ground. Also, if the ground is in the harness out of the PCM down to the FP could it be coming back through the PCM?

No. The fuel pump has to be connected to send the ground signal to the fuel pump relay to activate it. If the short was on the fuel pump side of the wire then the fuel pump would not have powered ump at all when you unplugged the pcm and ran the jumper to the inertia switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hold on one minute
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Electrician here where I work said most likely it is high resistance in the FP relay upstream from the inertia. The high resistance will act like a ground when trying to run the pump because it is not flowing enough power to the pump. Also said it would be/could be intermittent.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did I lose you?

That is possible, but you lost voltage when you ran power to the inertia switch before we started chatting correct?

That would have bypassed the relay and took it out of the equation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When we ran direct power to the fuel pump the fuel pump ran. When I voltage tester the wire at the inertia switch it was reading zero with the inertia switch in place and with the pigtail jumper. With the inertia switch out the 12 V inlet side showed voltage for 20 seconds and then cut out like it should. What my electrician friend is telling me is that a corroded relay will not provide an enough voltage to actually run the pump and will show ground or high resistance on the relay.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems kind of logical however it’s not a guarantee that this will fix it. But I am going to pull the fuse panel out and have him replace the internal relay and give it a shot. For $17 I might as well try it. Aside from that if the relay is burnt up I should be able to smell it or see a burn mark

You would have to take the relay apart to see if the contacts inside where bad. It would not have a smell to it. But it is worth a try.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m headed to get my fuse panel right now unfortunately I can’t get a relay until Wednesday so I will let you know if that fixes it on that day

OK.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well the fuel pump relay was the culprit, had the fuse panel rebuilt and tested after the burnt relay was replaced and truck had fuel pressure and started right up!! Thanks for your help, and hopefully this issue puts a nice little troubleshooting nugget in your bag of tricks!!

Thank you for the update.