Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 f250 with the 6.2 gas. This morning it started…

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 f250 with the 6.2 gas. This morning it started missing, check engine light came on and ac quit. I took it to O’Reillys and diagnosed a problem with coil D. I bought a new coil and installed it on cylinder 4 and there was no change. I watched video on troubleshooting and I had constant power to coil but was not getting a ground pulse from pcm on other side of plug. I found the pin in the pcm plug and checked continuity and the wires showed to be good. Does this mean that I need to replace my PCM?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Which light? Check engine light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I bought a new coil and installed it on cylinder 4 and there was no change. I watched video on troubleshooting and I had constant power to coil but was not getting a ground pulse from pcm on other side of plug. I found the pin in the pcm plug and checked continuity and the wires showed to be good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. That’s it

6/29/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need. The Web Site will prompt a phone call , I'll let you know if it's needed.

Cody,

Yes if you are sure that you have no open in the green/violet driver wire from coil #4 to the pin #50 at the PCM connector and the Ohm test checks okay with a good wire then yes, that means the driver in the PCM for #4 has failed and the fix is going to be to replace the PCM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. That’s what I came up with also. I appreciate it

Sounds correct to me as well. Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician