Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2001 f350 with 272000 mi has low power, sometimes going…

My 2001 f350 with 272000...
My 2001 f350 with 272000 mi has low power, sometimes going up hill check engine light will come on while pulling a 16' cattle trailer empty. Just to have it go off going down the other side. Took it to ford dealer for all points check they reported nothing wrong but drive shaft bearing $500 and still has low power like starving for fuel ?
Larry
6/30/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Has it been getting worse over time or did this occur all of a sudden?

Does it smoke from the exhaust when this occurs?

Does it seem to boost well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It happened slowly but I did not notice it except when pulling my trailer. No it doesn't smoke or very little. What is boost?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry Chris but I have 60+% hearing loss text is best for me.

Boost is what the turbo does.

While at operating temp and at 2000 rpms, remove the oil cap, is there a lot of air blowing out?

Have you had it scanned to see which codes are stored?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was checked when serviced nothing on codes , but I find that hard to believe with its performance
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ford dealer ship cost me 500 bucks for all points check��

Let me know when you can respond on the turbo operation and oil cap test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It will spin the tires on take off and will run up to 100 miles an hour....,.just acts-up when pulling trailer up hill. If hill is long enough the temperature gauge will start to move up fast. I will do the 2000rpm test when my brother gets here.

At this time I feel like the MAP sensor is reading wrong, or the waste gat is not working right or the oil cooler may be restricted or the cooling fan clutch is not working correctly.

I have a 00 7.3 that I tow my 10k travel trailer with and it too runs hotter up long hills if I am pushing it harder than I should. It also stores a MAP code if I get the boost pressure to high, but I am running a programmer for more power and that is why the boost is getting to high.

I am wanting you to check the engine blow by with the oil cap test to see if you have worn cylinder walls and rings.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
While waiting on brother......remember the f350 does not smoke and or use oil between oil changes at 4000 miles never reaches add mark��

Thanks for the extra info.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I just finished the 2000rpm test negative if anything it seems to have a slight vac with a piece of plastic over fill hole. I think I need to get code checked again to be more positive it was performed on the check-up day��
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did I mention that when putting 16' empty trailer up hill @ say 65mph it will start to oscillating, pulsating feeling and will slow down ��
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pulling
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have it scanned tomorrow ��

Hope to hear from you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had it scanned no codes came up �� Does it have a 2 speed fan?

You may need to scan it when the issue has occurred and the light has come on.

The engine cooling fan is multispeed and works off of a clutch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Chris........ I still have the problem but you got me further down the road thank you ��

Is more help needed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not at this time but I don't think my fan is working properly how do you check it ��

You have a mechanical clutch fan that spools up based on the temp flowing onto it from the radiator. It should not wobble and it shooud have a little resistance when turning by hand with the engine off. If those are good then it shold be good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll check it tomorrow Chris

OKay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No wobble and it does have resistance but I don't think it changes speed ��

When driving up a steep hill and pulling a loa do you ever hear the roar of the fan running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I never hear the fan I will have my wife listen the next time while pulling my trailer.
Thanks Chris

If you are not running to hot, you will never hear it. When you do hear it you will know it, it will roar.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I'll pick a hot day

You are welcome