Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

You helped me some in May on this but work and life took…

You helped me some in...
You helped me some in May on this but work and life took over and the truck has just sat all this time. Trying to get back at it. It’s a 2005 Still have the following...
280k Miles
No start condition
No oil pressure on the high-pressure oil rail.
New HPOP, #2 injector, and IPR less than 3k miles ago.
It does have low oil pressure.
Have cam and crank sync.
Pulled the ICP and received nominal readings on scan tool but still no start.
New FICM (what I originally suspected and you helped me through this)
Pulled and checked IPR screen (as you suggested) and it looks like new.
Pressured the HPOP system with air through where the IPR goes and can not find even the smallest of leaks or noise... dead silence.
I'm again stuck.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Time flies... It wasn't May but 28 February 2018 when you first helped me on this issue.
I might add with standard shop air of about 110 PSI or so into the fitting (where the IPR goes) the ScanGauge read 94 psi on the ICP, a voltage at .33 ICV, and 14.81 for IPR but it was disconnected. No noise at all. No hissing, no gurgling, nothing.
6/30/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

What does the ICP show while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ICP shows 0 with a scangauge and about 30 with a snap on Solus. Not sure why the difference.ICV .21vIPR 84.7 crankingIPR 14.8 not crankingICP unplugged the IPR gives a nominal reading of about 55 if I remember right.I have FICM Sync as well.FICM voltage 54v (solid and steady through all operations)Rang the wire harness out for the FICM and have continuity on all wires, no sign of chaffing on the harmness, have done a lot of wiggling if the harness while cranking.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With 110psi ( shop air at the compressor) applied to the test fitting at the IPR I get 95psi on my scangauge

You must have 500ps1 or more from the ICP or the injectors will not be commanded to spray fuel. Since you got 94 pis from your air test, that means the ICP is reading right. Your symptoms point to a faulty HPOP or the HPOP reservoir is not full of oil.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
History....
before I changed the FICM (this was my first diagnosis with help rom JustAnswers) I had codes on all glow plug circuits P0671-678, FICM voltage P1378, 2285 ICP circus low, 2291 ICP too low engine cranking, and P0611 FICM voltage.

Thanks, ***** ***** you need to address the ICP pressure to low or in your case reading none.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After a few second of cranking the dash oil pressure indicator comes alive and the engine oil level is good.

Is the HPOP reservoir full to the top?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not had the cover off the HPOP.
I've only checked engine oil level via the dip stick and then cranked the engine to see oil pressure read on the dash.

Remove the oil sensor from the reservoir and see if its full.

Hold up I have you confused with another diesel customer I am helping tonight and both of you got the wrong responses.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About to say I'm not sure where this is at. LOL!!!If it matters this is supposed to be a new Ford HPOP and IPR with less than 3000 miles on it. I was installed by a local shop. By "if it matters" could something small and common go wrong to cause this.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to clear up my confusion (sorry I am an aircraft mechanic and not a diesel mechanic)...A failed STC fitting WOULD show up on the air check?The air check doesn't have to run an extended period of time to purge all the oil out to hear it? (all I got was dead silence not even a little gurgle or hiss)I've read there is a o-ring/ gasket on the top and bottom of the pump that can be accidently swapped where it will not hold long before failure. Is this true?

Okay, got the other fellow back on track in his 7.3 diesel.

Okay, you still must have 500 psi from the ICP on yours before the injectors will do anything.

When you did air test did you hear any leaks?

Can you do these tests, specifically section 10?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj4ic1xo55270n6/section.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had air to it for about 2 minutes while I crawled around the engine. No hissing, no gurrgling sounds, all I got was dead silence.I do not have the Solus here at the house and not sure the scan tool will check PCM voltage I'll have to try that tomorrow.
Battery voltage is good through cranking 11.5 and varies very little while cranking.
I remmber FICM L power and FICM v power were both 11.5v and about 10-10.5v cranking. I saw this and never went back to it. Ill double check tomorrow.
FICM P is 54v with the upgraded FICM
RMP sensor is good. Solus reads RPM as I crank, matches dash, shows I have FICM sync.
ICPv is only .21v and not the miniimum of .8v section 10e calls outThe other data and checks I can't do tonight. The above information is what I've recently collected in my trouble shooting.

You may want to remove the IPR route a hose to that fitting to a bucket. Crank the engine and see the HPOP is sending A LOT of oil out. If not then I think its time to see if this HPOP is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it common for the HPOP to go bad on 2005 and up? I keep reading its not common for it to go bad on 2005 and newer but it is very common on 2004 and older. I keep reading the 2005 and newer it is VERY common for the STC fitting to break. I can't imagine the shop I took it to replaced the HPOP not replace the STC fitting with a new one. The STC isn't listed on the invoice.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll run this check with the oil line tomorrow.

I would not say HPOP failure is common though I have had to replace my fair share of them, they are not immune to failure. It would baffle me if the STCs were not replaced during the repair.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I routed the hose from where the IPR valve goes into a bucket. I cranked for 30 seconds and got not even a drop of oil.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine oil level is good and I didn’t check the dash indicator for pressure (I forgot) but it has always read before as I’ve trouble shot this no start condition.

You either have a bad HPOP or there is no oil getting to the reservoir that the pump sits in, in the valley.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Either way I’m popping the cover off the HPOP right?What would cause the reservoir not fill?Should I see it full of oil as soon as the top is off?Can it leak down as fast as it fills?

Correct, a blockage at the filter and cooler can prevent oil from getting to the HPOP reservoir, it should be full of oil, it should not be leaking down, that would cause extended crank time on each start.