Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Ford Focus. It idles fine if I do not have the…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Ford Focus. It idles fine if I do not have the AC turned on. When I turn on the AC, it starts at about 950 RPM then will drop to 500 RPM, then picks up to 1000 RPM then a few seconds later goes back to 500 RPM and the cycle continues.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

53 k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes change throttle body

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At this point no

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2018
Ford Mechanic: Richard Greer, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Richard Greer
Richard Greer, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Just Answer might prompt you for a phone call, that request is not from me and is not necessary. Thank you

Is the check engine light currently on? if so can you pull the diagnostic codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No light

When the throttle body was replaced was it programmed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, was pulled from a 2009 fos

When installing a new electronic throttle body it needs to be calibrated/programmed for the vehicle you are installing it on to.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It did not change any of the symptoms. the 2009 still did fine and the 2010 still had the same issue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Programming the throttle body as not the fix or issue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you out there

are you sure of that? The throttle body is an electronic module and must have the same program version as the vehicle it is on.

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Although since your vehicle is MAF a vacuum leak wouldnt cause the vehicle to surge at idle, it would just throw a code for bank 1 too lean.

Yes I am still here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The MAF was also switched out with no effect on the issue. Is there any RPM sensor on this vehicle? Is the IAC a separate part?

Without diagnostic codes, diagnosing a vehicle gets immensely difficult. One thing you can check is put the key in the on position, remove the intake tube and have someone slowly push the gas pedal while you check the throttle plate to make sure it is opening and closing as it should. There is no separate IAC, it is integrated into the programming of the electronic throttle body

there is no "RPM" sensor there is a crank position sensor which sends the rpm signal to the ecu. If that was faulty you would have a code for cam/crank correlation or the vehicle would not run.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to wait till an engine light comes on? Are there no other sensors that say the AC is running so adjust idle?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her any diagnostics machine that will tell without an engine light?

No I am saying it is difficult to diagnose without codes, have nothing to go on. There isnt a sensor that tells that the a/c is on. The ecu is what sends the signal to turn the a/c on.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that pertains to your exact issue and the repair is to install a new throttle body.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The AC was recently charged. Would that be sending a bad signal to the ECU? If so, is there a way to reset the ECU? Do I need to switch out the ECU

Disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes to reset the keep alive memory

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the throttle body from the 2010 works fine on the 2009, and the 2009 throttle body on the 2010 still shows the same issue.

I can only go off of the info you give. that TSB matches your complaint exactly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I see this TBS?

I posted a link to my dropbox where I have uploaded it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it will come to me in an email?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The above trouble report appears to speak for all idle conditions. My issue only happens when the AC is on. Also changing the throttle body did not fix the issue.

I am unsure of how to proceed from here. I will opt out in case another expert is able to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will this be picked up by another or do I have to start over?
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

New tech here, I think your a/c compressor is locking up, do you have set of gauges to put on the system to check pressures? this will tell us if your compressor is bad

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a set of gauges, but the AC is blowing good cold air.

that dosent matter you can have a failing compressor and have cold air, I would check that first before doing anything else

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pressures are steady at 35 and 155.

do the needles twitch at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

ok so that checks out, then I would replace the throttle body as mentioned in the previous techs reply and that should get you going

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As you will see in my previous comments, the throttle body was replaced. That was one of the first things done. It did not do a thing for the issue.

did you use the oem part mention in the document? and was it programed after install?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I swapped the throttle body from another ford focus. If the issue was the throttle body, the issue would have transferred. It did not. the bad car still had the exact same issue and the other car runs fine.
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 month ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, any time a throttle body is replaced the keep alive memory in the powertrain control module must be reset so it relearns how to idle or it will run exactly the same. This MUST be done any time a throttle body is replaced. Also just because the check engine light is not on does not mean diagnostic trouble codes are not stored in the PCM. A diagnostic check for codes should be done, along with a Key on Engine Off and a Key on Engine running test to see if codes are stored. If codes are stored you check into that area first. if no codes are stored, use the scan tool to reset the keep alive memory or disconnect the battery terminals and hold the positive and negative disconnected cables together to reset the KAM. Then start the vehicle and see how it runs. The throttle body is the idle control. The PCM will ramp up the throttle acutator to increase air flow into the engine and increase base idle when the ac compressor is on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to get the PCM reset. As for the KAM, how long do I have to keep positive and negative leads together?

about 30 seconds to discharge the capacitor in the PCM to relearn the kam. if it still has an issue idling when the ac is turned on, a Key on engine running test needs to be done so the PCM can ramp the idle up and down and check its operation. Throttle bodies are the most common issue for this concern. Since you already disconnected the battery, any codes that were stored are now cleared. So take the vehicle for a short road test to relearn the idle etc. See if it still has the same issue, then run a diagnostic. Since it idles fine with the ac off, its not an issue with a vacuum leak. The only other thing to look at would be is looking at live sensor data to see if it shows a sensor not reading properly and removing the mass air flow sensor and checking for a bug/dirt/debris on the MAF sensor wire. Tap the sensor in your hand if you see something on the heater wire of the MAF sensor to clean it use MAF cleaner not carb cleaner. Reset the KAM and check again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I did the reset and it continues to be the same. I had also already swapped out the MAF. Now I did just notice the rpms dropped / fluctuated about 50 rpm or very slightly without the AC. It drops / fluctuates 300 to 400 rpm with the AC.

There could be a vacuum leak or other issue, at this point you have to run a diagnostic check as I mentioned. A key on engine running test. This will actuate all the outputs and tell you if there is a fault or not. If this checks ok then looking to see if the sensors indicate the vehicle is running lean. Some things you just cant hang parts on to find the cause. You have to dig deeper to get the reason why its doing what its doing. Cause/effect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ford garage said they do not have a diagnostics if there no lights. Is there a diagnostics machine that will check the sensors that this garage does not have?

That is incorrect! you always run a diagnostic, not every failure turns on the check engine light and some failures are intermittent and must set the fault multiple times to flag a code and turn on the light. They should run the tests I mentioned and look at live sensor data if needed. Sounds like they blew you off. Thats not how you check a vehicle. Ony auto parts stores wont pull codes if the light is not on. There are memory codes and hard fault codes that be checked.On demand codes.

AT this point you have to look at the computer and what is going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sounds like I need to find a different ford garage with better diagnostic equipment. Is there something special I should ask for?

Any decent shop should have a good scan tool to run the on demand tests besides pulling memory codes. There are 3 tests KOEC Key on Engine Continuous/memory codes. KOEO Key On Engine Off which tests all inputs and KOER Key On Engine Running. Which operates all outputs, idle, cooling fans etc. These tests should all be run first, if no codes are stored then you look at the live sensor data to determine lean engine running issues etc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ma going to check another garage. The 3 tests you suggest sound like the typical Auto Zone tests. Does a garage have anything different than AZ on these tests? How do I look at the live sensor data? Is this something the garage can see as it is running or is it something I can see?

Live sensor data is done using a scan tool same as running the other tests. Autozone probably only runs KOEC pulls memory codes. the other tests require you to go through certain motions to complete the tests. KOER hit the brake pedal, turn the steering wheel and turning on/off the od switch are part of the test. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went to a second garage and they could not find anything either. Do you know if there is a switch or sensor that tells the system when the AC is on? Do you know where it is located? Do you know what computer it feeds into and where that computer is located?

The ac on switch is shared input with the PCM to signal the ac is on and bump the idle. if the shop you brought it too could not see the ac on input and other live data then you are going to have to bite the bullet and bring it to a dealer. The only other thing that might cause an idle issue would be if the evaporative emissions purge valve is stuck open and pulling in fuel vapor and ramping up the idle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have bit the big one. I have spent $250 on two Ford dealership garages who could not tell me a thing without a code. The idle is not ramping up it is dropping like a pressure sensor or discharging capacitor is at fault. You said the PCM works off the AC switch. But what happens when the switch is on but the clutch is not engaged? There has to be something else.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible it is the PCM itself that is causing the problem?

Wow, sounds like you got some weak dealers in your area. There are diagnostics by symptom to follow as long as they can duplicate your idle problem. It is doubtful the pcm itself is the root cause. Here is the system operation for the ac clutch turning on.

Air Conditioning

The refrigerant system components include the following:

• A/C compressor and clutch assembly
  • A/C condenser core
  • A/C evaporator core
  • Receiver/drier
  • Connecting refrigerant lines
  • Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV)

The refrigerant system incorporates an A/C compressor controlled by the PCM through an A/C clutch relay. The HVAC module sends an A/C request signal to the Instrument Cluster (IC), which relays the request to the PCM. An evaporator discharge air temperature sensor is used to cycle the A/C compressor off when the evaporator core temperature falls below an acceptable temperature.

The HVAC module will send an A/C request signal to the instrument cluster if the following conditions are met:

• A mode which requires A/C operation has been manually selected by the driver.
  • The A/C evaporator discharge air temperature sensor is reading an acceptable temperature.

When an A/C request is received, the A/C compressor clutch will only be engaged by the PCM through the A/C clutch relay if all of the following conditions are met:

• The A/C pressure transducer is reading an acceptable pressure in the high-pressure side of the refrigerant system.
  • The engine coolant temperature is not excessively high.
  • The PCM has not detected a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition.

An A/C compressor pressure relief valve is installed in the A/C compressor to protect the refrigerant system against excessively high refrigerant pressures.

A/C Compressor and Clutch Assembly

NOTE: Internal A/C compressor components are not serviced separately. The A/C compressor, minus the A/C compressor clutch and field coil, is serviced as an assembly. A new A/C pressure relief is included with replacement A/C compressors, but the valve is also available as a separate component and can be independently replaced if needed. The A/C compressor clutch, A/C compressor pulley and A/C clutch field coil are serviceable as a separate assembly.

The A/C compressor has the following characteristics:

• A non-serviceable shaft seal.
  • The A/C compressor uses PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) YN-12-D. This oil contains special additives required for the A/C compressor.
  • The A/C compressor oil in the A/C system may darken over time while maintaining normal oil viscosity. This is normal for A/C systems because of break-in wear.
  • Use the refrigerant oil adding procedure specified for this vehicle when installing a new A/C compressor or any other A/C component.

When battery voltage is applied to the A/C compressor clutch field coil, the clutch disc and hub assembly is drawn toward the A/C clutch pulley. The magnetic force locks the clutch plate and hub assembly and the A/C clutch pulley together as one unit, causing the compressor shaft to rotate with the engine. When battery voltage is removed from the A/C compressor clutch field coil, springs in the clutch plate and hub assembly move the clutch plate away from the A/C clutch pulley.

An A/C clutch diode is included for A/C clutch field coil circuit spike suppression. The A/C clutch diode is located in the Battery Junction Box (BJB).

A/C Pressure Relief Valve

NOTE: If the A/C compressor is operating within limits and the A/C pressure relief valve is venting, or if the A/C pressure relief valve is leaking around the threads, install a new A/C pressure relief valve and O-ring. If the new A/C pressure relief valve still vents after it is installed, diagnose the refrigerant system for a restriction.

An A/C pressure relief valve is incorporated in the A/C compressor to prevent damage to the A/C compressor and other system components by relieving unusually high system discharge pressure buildups.

The A/C pressure relief valve is a separate component and can be installed separately from the A/C compressor. It is necessary to recover the refrigerant before removing the A/C pressure relief valve.

A/C Condenser Core

The A/C condenser is an aluminum fin-and-tube design heat exchanger located in front of the vehicle radiator. It cools compressed refrigerant gas by allowing air to pass over fins and tubes to extract heat, and condenses gas to liquid refrigerant as it is cooled.

A/C Evaporator Core

NOTE: The evaporator core is not separately serviceable, it is serviced only with the evaporator core housing assembly.

The evaporator core is an aluminum plate/fin type and is located in the heater core and evaporator core housing. A mixture of liquid refrigerant and oil enters the bottom of the evaporator core through the evaporator core inlet tube and continues out of the evaporator core through the evaporator core outlet tube as a vapor. During A/C compressor operation, airflow from the blower motoris cooled and dehumidified as it flows through the evaporator core fins.

Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV)

The Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) is located at the evaporator core inlet and outlet tubes at the center rear of the engine compartment. The TXV provides a restriction to the flow of refrigerant from the high-pressure side of the refrigerant system and separates the low-pressure and high-pressure sides of the refrigerant system. Refrigerant entering and exiting the evaporator core passes through the TXV through 2 separate flow paths. An internal temperature sensing bulb senses the temperature of the refrigerant flowing out of the evaporator core and adjusts an internal pin-type valve to meter the refrigerant flow into the evaporator core. The internal pin-type valve decreases the amount of refrigerant entering the evaporator core at lower temperatures and increases the amount of refrigerant entering the evaporator core at higher temperatures.

Receiver/Drier

NOTE: Installation of a new receiver/drier is not required when repairing the A/C system, except when there is physical evidence of contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the receiver/drier. Damage to the receiver/drier includes leaks, physical damage to the receiver/drier shell or desiccant, or moisture contamination. Moisture contamination results only from a complete loss of refrigerant, and equalization of the refrigerant system pressure with atmospheric pressure for a period longer than one hour. If even a slight amount of positive refrigerant pressure is present in the refrigerant system before repairs are carried out, a new receiver/drier should not be installed.

The receiver/drier is mounted to the LH front of the condenser core. It stores high-pressure liquid after it leaves the condenser core. A desiccant cartridge mounted inside the receiver/drier removes moisture from the refrigerant.

A/C Evaporator Discharge Air Temperature Sensor

The A/C evaporator discharge air temperature sensor contains a thermistor which receives a reference voltage from the HVAC module. The thermistor then varies the resistance to the reference voltage based on the evaporator discharge air temperature. The HVAC module interprets this resistance as the evaporator discharge air temperature.

The A/C evaporator discharge air temperature sensor is located on the RH side of the heater core and evaporator core housing above the heater core tube cover.

A/C Pressure Transducer

The A/C pressure transducer monitors the compressor discharge pressure and communicates with the PCM. The PCM will interrupt A/C compressor operation in the event that the A/C pressure transducer indicates high system discharge pressures. It is also used to sense low charge conditions. If the pressure is below a predetermined value for a given ambient temperature, the PCM will not allow the clutch to engage.

The A/C pressure transducer is located on the condenser-to-evaporator line near the RH shock tower. It is not necessary to recover the refrigerant before removing the A/C pressure transducer.

Service Gauge Port Valves

The high-pressure service gauge port valve is located on a vertical extension off the receiver/drier tank. The valve can be accessed through an access hole in the upper radiator air deflector to the right of the LH headlamp.

The low-pressure service gauge port valve is located on the A/C compressor suction line near the RH shock tower.

The fitting is an integral part of the refrigerant system line or component.

• Special couplings are required for both the high-side and low-side service gauge ports.
  • A very small amount of leakage will always be detectable around the Schrader-type valve with the service gauge port valve cap removed, and is considered normal. A new Schrader-type valve core can be installed if the seal leaks excessively.
  • The service gauge port valve caps each include an O-ring seal which is used as a primary seal in the refrigerant system to prevent leakage through the Schrader-type valves from reaching the atmosphere. The service gauge port valve cap O-ring seals should be checked when checking the refrigerant system for leaks and a new cap should be installed if needed. Always install and tighten the A/C service gauge port valve caps to the correct torque after they are removed.

Refrigerant System Dye

Fluorescent refrigerant system dye is added to the refrigerant system at the factory to assist in refrigerant system leak diagnosis using a Rotunda-approved ultraviolet black light. It is not necessary to add additional dye to the refrigerant system before diagnosing leaks, even if a significant amount of refrigerant has been removed from the system. Replacement receiver/driers are shipped with a fluorescent dye "wafer" included in the desiccant bag, which will dissolve after approximately 30 minutes of continued A/C operation. It is not necessary to add dye after flushing or filtering the refrigerant system because a new receiver/drier is installed as part of the flushing or filtering procedure. Additional refrigerant system dye should only be added if more than 50% of the refrigerant system lubricant capacity has been lost due to a fitting separation or hose rupture.

The PCM controls idle speed based on loads. The ac system is a load, turn the steering wheel is a load, etc. Anything is possible with the pcm but I have never seen one cause this type of issue.