Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2013 fiesta 1.6 llter duramax does not return to 750 rpm…

My 2013 fiesta 1.6...

My 2013 fiesta 1.6 llter duramax does not return to 750 rpm after driving. May stay at 1500- 2000 rpm intermittently. Is ok with air turned on. and OK when starting engine from off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes with headlights and fully charged battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself if I can. engine light is on for map sensor. Changed part and light is still on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How do I turn cel of without scanner?

6/28/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Any way you can get it scanned to see which codes are stored?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had one stored code. P2227 MAP Which I changed. Light still on. I will try to scan again.

PLease do and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cleaned the throttle body and that seems to work for now. Thank you. I wish you would have suggested that.

That would of been a guess not an answer. That is why I have not sent an answer yet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
High idle is back , darn it. Additional codes are $7E8 engine (Fuel 1 lean) and $7E9 A/T Freeze Frame shows Fuel 1 CL. RPM 1847. TP % 22.4 and other stuff . Thank you Chris

$7E8 is not a Ford code. Your scan tool is making this code.

Is the lean code the only code you have?

If so then let's check for a vacuum leak whereas air is getting sucked into the intake from a source other than the air filter.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cleared all codes after replacing MAP sensor. Light came back on the next day. Shows P0101 and P0171 also P2227 came back again. I like the Vacuum leak idea. Makes sense with a lean condition and high idle. I will try to check it.

If those code diag steps are needed, let me know.

The best way to check for a vacuum leak is to idle the engine. Spray flammable brake cleaner in short spurts around the intake and all seals, hoses, connections. If a leak is sprayed the rpms will change indicating the engine has sucked in that brake cleaner and is using that alternate fuel source to increase rpm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chris--- I didn't find any vac leaks. It is working better today. The return to idle is slow and sometimes jerky. I may have 2 unrelated problems. The idle may be connected to the IAC motor. Since the MAP was changed before the codes were cleared and then came back on, I may need a better unit from Ford.? I put on a unit from Rock Auto(low priced) Guess please. My fuel usage is the same. I may change the IAC. (90,000 miles) ? It is better with air on. These 2 problems were separated by several weeks. So may be unrelated. Thanx for your help g

Often aftermarket parts are not as good as OEM, that could be to blame.