Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I wasn't paying attention and put 14 ounces of gasoline in…

I wasn't paying attention...

I wasn't paying attention and put 14 ounces of gasoline in 30 gallon diesel tank. I drove home about 27 miles. Is it ok

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Its a 2016 and a couple of weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Ford?

Its a 2016

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Umm

6/21/2018
cardoctor74
cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and I will be right back with your answer, or I may need some additional information from you about your vehicle. Thanks !
it’s absolutely fine. Just thank god if it was the other way around it would contaminate the entire system. The gasoline will be fine and not damage anything. As you know it’s a thinner fuels and will not damage anything. No need to drain the fuel. You will be fine. Just top off with diesel when it gets to about a half of tank. Absolutely nothing to worry about. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The other tech has opted out.

The minimal amount 14 ounces of gas in your diesel is too little to harm anything or worry about. It will dilute out within a full tank of diesel fuel. It would take more gas to cause an issue.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Are you sure that you only added 14 OZ. of gas? Did you top the tank off with fresh diesel?

the pump said .11 of gas and over 30 gallons of diesel
and I drove it 27 miles...no codes or loss of power or smoke

The best thing to do is to take the gas cap off of it tonight and let a much of the gas evaporate over night. Gas is lighter then diesel and will float to the top. The longer you let it sit the better. As long as you keep over 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the tank you should not have anything to worry about. Do not drive it with the cap off so as not to set an evap code.

its diesel...don't think itll give evap codes...plus its gonna rain tonight

Even though it is a diesel it still has an avap system hat keeps a slight vacuum on the fuel tank. You will not need to leave the fuel door open, so it will protect you from getting water into the tank, so just set the cap back on and close the door. The gas vapor will be able to come out of the tank still with the cap just sitting on the neck and not tightened up.

there is no door...its just a green twist on cap...
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

The ratio is too small to harm anything.

Run you current tank down to and refill it.

As you have already proved, no CEL, no codes.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician