Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Mustang V-6 Convertible. Drivers side seat…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Mustang V-6 Convertible. Drivers side seat belt does not retract because two pieces of plastic trim are "pinching" the nylon belt causing an excessive resistance during the retraction process. This has been an issue since we bought the car new in September 2006 and it has cost me $300+ at various Ford Dealerships where the problem is never fixed. In the past several years, since the air bag recalls have been "repaired", the air bag warning light activates intermittently after each repair. I have now diagnosed the problem myself and am very certain of the root cause. I also understand that the air bags may not function if the seat belt tensioner does not send the proper signal to the computer. Since my daughter is an attorney with the Federal Government in Washington D.C. and some of her neighbors work for NHTSA, I am aware that this is a safety issue which would interest NHTSA. I supplied trim parts to the automobile industry for 30 years and have participated in numerous "fit & finish" exercises so I realize the potential consequences of tolerance "stack up" issues resulting in two pieces of trim impeding the retractability of a seat belt. Would be interested in your solutions as I am not interested in spending any more of my hard earned money on your design issues. Thank you,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

No, not the latch, only the shoulder portion of the belt. It is being "pinched" by these trim pieces during retraction resulting in a "dangling" belt and causing the latch piece to hit my bright red paint behind the door.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, i am not "fixing" it myself. I have lifted the horizontal piece of trim so that the horizontal and vertical pieces of trim no longer impede the flow of the seat belt - opened up the gap so the seat belt can retract "freely". Also, I have pulled the seat belt out to the limits of its travel and this causes the air bag warning light to turn off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything, but the mechanics questions could result in more questions.

6/20/2018
Richard Greer
Richard Greer, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Thank you

what exactly is the issue? Can you send me a picture of the pieces that are hindering the seat belt from retracting?

The quarter panel "top plate" interferes with the quarter panel. How do you want me to send you the picture. I can use my phone, but don't know how to send.

"Would be interested in your solutions as I am not interested in spending any more of my hard earned money on your design issues." I think I should let you know that I am neither working for Ford Motor Company nor am I an Engineer that designed the seat belts for your vehicle.

im sorry I am not equipped to take phone calls. would you like me to opt out in case another expert can help you via telephone?

no
Ok
those are the two pieces except that they are on the drivers side, not passenger side. The opening "slot" is too tight and the seat belt can not retract freely. Don't charge me the $26 for phone call.

I do not have control over the money you are charged. By not taking the phone call you will not be charged for it.

Ok. THX. The belt is "scraping" against the bottom of the horizontal trim piece slot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwuxz90jzifqh5p/mustangtsbseatbelt.pdf?dl=0

I am not sure if you have seen this, but there is a TSB for this exact problem you are having. Any ford dealer should have search for tsb before performing any repairs.

No I have not seen the TSB. Can you provide me with the TSB number ? Two separate Ford Dealerships have charged me for repairs, but neither mentioned this TSB or fixed the "fit" issue.

I linked you to my dropbox with the tsb. but the tsb number is *****

Thx. I will bring it in for the fix. I presume we are finished.
I rated you excellent. Thx