Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 Ford Edge sel back hatch won’t open I can hear the

2015 Ford Edge sel...

2015 Ford Edge sel back hatch won’t open I can hear the electronic motor working but it won’t release

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

57000 automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. The only thing I have tried was popping off the small cover on the inside where I read a release handle was and it wasn’t there also tried putting a screw driver in that hole like I also read but there is no where to pry to get it to release

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

You do need to get the latch released so you can open it and replace the latch. You are correct you need to use a screwdriver to get it open. It is a pain to do but it works. Did you see the diagrams of where the screwdriver should be inserted? or just read about it?

That is pretty much it. But it is a little different if you have power liftgate or not.

Do you have power liftgate?

I don’t have power lift gate and that’s the problem when I take the cover off it doesn’t look like that it’s a screw and two holes

The picture you have is for the non power liftgate release. You need to put the screwdriver in at a 45 degree angle on the right side of the slot and then try and slide the screwdriver to the left to release it. The screw driver also needs to go into the latch 10mm to be able to release it. So make sure the screwdriver is not too fat.

I am almost home I will send you a picture of it there is no slot just a screw on the middle with a hole on both sides
It doesn’t look like the drawing you sent

Ok. That is what it looks like. You just have to picture it being behind the sheet metal.

Okay so i put the screw driver in the left or right hole? And does this mean the latching motor is going bad or what

You put it in the screwdriver in on the left hand side. Also yes the latch is going bad and needs to be replaced.

Is it pretty easy to replace once you get it open and take the trim off

Yeah. The complete pain in the butt is getting the lift gate open. The procedure does work, because that is what we do at the dealer to get it open. Sometimes just takes a while.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Okay thanks

Your welcome. Rate this chat with the stars above and bookmark this page so you can come back whenever you need to in case you think of some more questions on this issue. Thanks.