Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

I have a 2015 f-350 6.7 diesel showing def sensor code. will

I have a 2015 f-350 6.7 diesel showing def sensor code. will this cause it to go into limp mode or is it okay to drive for now. I am out of town pulling my 5th wheel camper and no easy service access nearby.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: code is p21bo reductant level sensor
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just cleared the code and it the check engine light came back on. read codes again and got the same thing. have not tried anything else yet. May or may not repair myself. Just hoping to be able to drive it for a couple days before repairs are done while pulling my camper.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Tell me, are you getting a DEF message saying that truck will not start after so many miles?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I'm not getting any other messages
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no im not getting any other messages just the check engine light is on

Okay, then you should be good to keep driving until you can get to a Ford dealer. They will need to run some tests on the reductant (DEF) system and see what the actual issue is. Now if you do get that message, don't shut the truck off until you can safely get it parked at the dealer. The dealer can extend the mileage if needed and/or get the repair done. Just FYI, this is probably not a repair you can perform, other than adding some DEF fluid.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks

You are welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra, and does not close this session. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the truck, and also if my answer/information was helpful, would you please rate/accept my service using the just answer rating system? I would really appreciate it. You see I get absolutely no credit unless you do that. Please note that I can continue to assist you even after you rate or accept my answer.

Thank you!

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the truck, and also if my answer/information was helpful, would you please rate/accept my service using the just answer rating system? I would really appreciate it. You see I get absolutely no credit unless you do that. Please note that I can continue to assist you even after you rate or accept my answer. Thank you! Chris

Hello, just wondering if you still need help. I replied back to you several days ago and have not heard back at all. Please let me know. If you no longer need any more help, then that is fine, but please let me know so I can close this session.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was trying diagnose a dead accessory outlet and pulling tandom fuses while the engine was running. When I pulled one fuse the motor dies and I put it back in and the engine starts up fine but the stability control litis on and it will not let me put the truck on gear to drive
Hmmm, not sure what happened, but try disconnecting the negative battery cables for 5 minutes and then reconnect them. Hopefully this will reset the system. Let me know. Ih and please don't forget to rate my service or accept my answer for helping you with the DEF issue.
ThanksChris
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Reconnected the batteries and started it and as soon as I tried to put it in gear the stability control light came back on and the shift lever will not move

Are you sure you got all the fuses back in their correct spots?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well pretty sure. I was just pulling them out one at a time looking for a blown fuse and then putting them back where they came from

Hmmm, well double check that. If they are, then you will need to get a scan tool tat can read/diagnose the codes in the ABS/stability module. You may be forced to go to the dealer.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any way I can even get this into nuetral gear so I can get it up on a tow truck

Yes. 2 ways : crawl under the truck and disconnect the cable from the lever on the transmission then move the trans lever manually out of park. You may also check the owner's manual for the location of the shift lever interlock manual release mechanism. The tow truck driver can help you if needed.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I went back and looked at all the fuses again and found one was not seated properly. Problem solved thank you

Aha!! Very good! I was hoping that it was something like that. Glad to help you again! Now PLEASE help me get credited by rating/accepting my services using the rating system. I get absolutely nothing unless you do that.

Thank you.

Chris

Hello, if you cannot or do not want to rate my answer/service, then please tell me why so I can provide better service to my future customers.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you so much for accepting my answer!! I truly appreciate it!

Chris