cardoctor74
cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to fix all makes and models
3827149

I have a 2005 Ford Sport Trac with the 4.0. A little over a

hello. I have a 2005 Ford Sport Trac with the 4.0. A little over a year ago I had all the timing chains replaced because they guides were wore out. A couple of months ago the truck died on my son. Towed it home and to my mechanic. The left side timing chain had broken. Replaced it . checked over everything to check for issues. All looked good. Thinking maybe got a defective timing chain. The other day I noticed that the engine had a slight "tick" on the left side while running. Pulled the valve cover off and saw that the timing chain - which I just replaced not even two months ago - had a couple bro***** *****nks. What would cause this chain to keep breaking?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The bro***** *****nks are hitting the valve cover and guides while the engine is running. Got some plastic shavings in the galley on that side. Just noticed it when I changed the oil the other day. Its my sons truck so I don't drive it much
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: Sport Trac
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do 98% of my own work. Had my mechanic do the timing chains because I don't have the specialized tools needed to replace them
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Like I said - I had ALL of the timing chains replaced a little over a year ago. And then the left side replaced AGAIN a couple of months ago
Hello, my name is ***** ***** to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and I will be right back with your answer, or I may need some additional information from you about your vehicle. Thanks !
Has the tensioner been changed or the timing gear sprockets checked to see if there bent ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My mechanic checked over everything the last time the left side chain was replaced. It was replaced with all new sprockets and tensioners
Ok but there’s a very good chance that the actual cam shaft bent. Installing the new sprockets would still be bent and will cause this issue. I bet he missed this unfortunately. This needs to be checked.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The oil pump threw its chain about 6 months ago when it locked up. Had debris in it. Thinking it was from the guides when they were going. Knocked the main timing chain off when it went. Bent all 12 valves. My mechanic checked everything over when he put it back together and assured me that all was ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You are referring to the jackshaft?
The cam shaft sprocket
it’s also referred to as the jack shaft
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you think the camshaft on the left side could have gotten tweaked? Never seen that before
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just so we are on the same page - are you referring to the actual camshaft on the left side or the "jackshaft" which connects the right and left side timing chains to the main one?
The actual jack shaft. When it first happened it most likely bent the shaft and that will never align correctly even with the new chain. It might look ok but As the rpms increase puts tension on the chain and damages the links. Cam shaft can get damaged but not as common. Sorry for any confusion.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That sounds like that could be the issue. I'll go over and talk to my mechanic and see if the "jackshaft" got replaced again this last time or if they just replaced the timing chain. Thank you
Anytime. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just went over and talked to my mechanic. His shop is just across the street from me. He said they replaced the "jackshaft" this last time when they replaced the timing chain. Just in case it got tweaked when the timing chain broke. So any other ideas?
Yep they need to check the actual cam shaft as king as the tensioner is ok.
Also check spell check sorry
The timing chain is getting to tight from being out of alignment putting stress on the links. Unfortunalty a simple mistake on there end can cause this. I’ve had shops say they replaced parts once in the shop low and behold it was not.