Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am leaking fluid between my transfer case and my

Customer Question
I am leaking fluid...

I am leaking fluid between my transfer case and my transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you actually see the leak? And is the fluid itself bright red, or is it dirty?

Yeah the leak comes from the low point, slightly brown

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 ranger xlt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, i will probably remover the transfer case and redo the seal

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Ford
6/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 24 days ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Since you saw this much of it already, you will need to remove the transfer case as you said and you'll be able to see much more of it as well. It probably is the seal.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:) Keep this link too, in case another question
pops up I don’t  get credit for helping you until.
you rate me It may also be a good idea for you to provide me with your
contact information in case this link fails for some reason.

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The trans fluid levels are pretty good so it don't seem to be leaking too badly, if there is fluid in the tranfer case what should I be concerned about?

Yes, in most cases, it's a gear oil. Some use tranny fluid too though. If your trans fluid is the same color as the leak, then it's trans fluid. If it's thicker, then it's gear oil.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you need me again later on.

Any more questions?

Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 23 days ago

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.