Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

No power to fuel pump on a 95 E150. Seems consistent Van has

Customer Question

no power to fuel pump on a 95 E150
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: seems consistent Van has been setting for 4 years
JA: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was running when parked
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dropped tank and removed gas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need. The Web Site will prompt a phone call , I'll let you know if it's needed.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Can you take a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter at the inertia switch check and see if you have key on engine cranking power on both wires at the switch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what and where is the inertia switch?
I used a test light at fuel pump no power
i removed gas and pump ,tested pump with other power and pump is good
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The inertia switch is the fuel cut off switch and its located in the passenger side kick panel. If the pump checks okay then we need to check the power supply from the fuel pump relay to the pump starting at the inertia switch. Need to check for power in and out of it while cranking the engine. Let me know the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the red button on top suppose to be up or down? I found it in the down position and as i was wiggling it to unplug i could hear it buzz, tapped it a few times and it buzzed and button came up. found no power in or out with key in forward position cutting on and off, i didn't turn key all the way to turn motor over. whats next ?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The button should be DOWN. You are going to need to test the power in and out while cranking the engine over and with the button down and the switch connected. If you have power in and out then that means the computer is grounding the fuel pump relay and sending power on the circuit to the pump.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a little time again today to work on it. I have found no power in or out of inertia switch. The fuse it good and the relay is not melted or discolored, tried with another one same issue. i ran hot wire to pump just to test pump again and it pumps fuel. Fuel line is disconnected so i can see it pump out. whats next , and thank you !!
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay, the fuel pump is controlled by the fuel pump relay that is controlled by the ground switching signal from the PCM (computer) you next step should be to check and see if you have key on power at the fuel pump relay connector on the red and the yellow wire. If that checks okay then check to see if you have a ground from the PCM on the lite blue/orange wire while cranking and power out of the relay on the dark green/yellow wire that feeds the inertia switch to the pump. If you have power at both pins and no ground then that means the PCM has failed. See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. Let check both pins at the pump first and we can work from there if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tre83ltotzfa7g1/fuel%20pump%20Jun%207.pdf?dl=0