Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 f-150 super crew 5.0l V-8 83000 miles getting ticking…

Customer Question
2012 f-150 super crew...

2012 f-150 super crew 5.0l V-8 83000 miles getting ticking sound from the engine while stopped in gear fwd and rev and at slow speeds

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just got the truck noticed it when I got it home on tues sounds like under the hood doesn't sound like wheels as it does it when stopped also so 3 days I know of

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing as of yet no time but will probably take back to dealer just bought it last Friday picked up monday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just trying to get an idea incase they try to give me a bullshit explanation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
6/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 3 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The ticking noise is either coming from the tappets or the cam phasers. It is not a common problem on the 5.0L. But it does need to be properly diagnosed. If you are taking it back to the dealership, have them fix it.

If you can give me the VIN#, I can pull up the warranty service history if there is any on it.

1ftfw1ef5ckd26624

Below is the OASIS print out.

There is no reported warranty history on the F150. I can only look up any warranty repair history. If there was an cash repair work, the dealership the vehicle was taken to will have that. Ford does not retain the cash repairs in their database.