Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 f350 and can get the ac to work has voltage on…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 f350...
I have a 2005 f350 and can get the ac to work has voltage on both wires at the compressor no ground power if I put ground to it at the harness at the top of the engine it kicks on and cools fine so why is it showing positive on both and no negative? Also just replaced the compressor cutout switch
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Ford
6/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 24 days ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

The ground wire has to have a short in it some where int he wire harness. You have positive power on both sides of the plug at the compressor because the voltage is flowing through the winding in the clutch field coil and it has no ground to activate the electro magnet to pull the clutch in. It is safe to just run the ground from the engine block to the black wire at the compressor plug,.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I can just run a wire from the compressor to the ground and it will function properly? Won’t mess up any sensors or anything

That is correct. The ac compressor relay will cut the power if there is a problem or you turn the ac off.

Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 days ago

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things where going?