Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Leaking coolant at flywheel housing after engine is shut…

Customer Question
Leaking coolant at flywheel...

Leaking coolant at flywheel housing after engine is shut off.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

Hoses are about 8 years old and no.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

96 escort

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing yet. Trying to diagnose the source of the leak.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
6/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Do you see coolant on top of the transmission or just underneath the vehicle?

Just from underneath the flywheel down the crank case.

Pressure test the cooling system and check the thermostat housing where it mounts on the cylinder head just above the transmission. Coolant can leak from the top and look like it is dripping from the bottom. There are a couple of hoses and the thermostat housing is a rubber o ring seal that is known to leak.

Ok

Please keep me informed.