Anthony P.
Anthony P., Ford Mechanic
Experience:  Master Technician
7782981

Looking at buying a '06 motorhome with a v-10 triton engine.

Looking at buying a '06 motorhome with a v-10 triton engine. I understand the sparkplugs are a real problem certain models around that year. Just wondering if there is a way to visually determine if the engine has the improved heads or if a serial number can provide the information.
JA: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?
Customer: it has 56000 miles and I am going to look it over monday to see if I am interested in buying it
JA: What is the model of your '06 Ford?
Customer: the ad doesnt state the exact model but they are usually f-350's
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't own the vehicle I am considering purchasing it and need to determine if it is the model and year that has the defective heads that blow spark plugs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Hi there isn’t a way to know definitively but you can tell by pulling a wire off and seeing if the plugs are white where they meet the steel threading. If they aren’t white it’s most likely got a possibility of a issue down the road. Option 2 is to see if the exhaust manifolds are studs or bolts. If they are studs your good if they are bolts it may have a issue later
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the stud vs bolt seems the easiest way to quickly determine what is there. Thanks!