Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

MY 1991 Ford camper won't start E-350

Customer Question
MY 1991 Ford camper won't...
MY 1991 Ford camper won't start E-350
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Ford
5/31/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 20 days ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is this gas or diesel? thank you.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
gas

Alright, do you know if you have fuel pressure? should be 35-45 psi with key on engine off. Also, can you check for spark out of the coil when cranking with a spark tester? thank you. If you don't have a spark tester, try an old plug, or see if it will run briefly spraying starting fluid in it.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
now Im waiting for the person working on this camper to get back

OK, sounds good. See if he can check for spark when cranking it to the plugs or out of the coil first. Then get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, there is a schrader valve there on the fuel rail near the injectors.

My thoughts are it will wind up being an ignition control module, possibly the cap or rotor if it doesn't have spark, or a fuel pump relay or something in the fuel system keeping it from building pressure. But we need to isolate what it's missing, either fuel pressure or spark.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
no fuel preasure

Alright, the intertia switch is up on the firewall drivers side it's got a red button on top of it, push that red button down, make sure it's not tripped, also, if you can, check power on the two wires at that switch, should have battery voltage when cranking.

It's on the drivers side up by the brake pedal, inside the truck, unless they moved it on RV. but I don't think they did.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
no red button there
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
there isn't a red button near the brake pedal
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
thank for your help I am going to call a garage to come get it and fix it

He needs to check the voltage on those wires at that switch, Also, if he can't find the switch, then there is a fuel pump relay under the hood that is black and green, pull the relay and check for power on two of the relay socket pins with the key on. Should be power on two of the pins there.

Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 14 days ago
Did you figure out what was going on with this no start issue? Thank you.