Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Good to be working with you again. I have a 1999 Ford

Customer Question
Hello chris, good to be...
Hello chris, good to be working with you again. I have a 1999 Ford F-250XLT 7.3L Diesel truck. just recently I cleaned the HPOP edge filter and it ran great for about 350 miles. and then it shut off on me while I was going to work one day. So I ran a test on the scan tool and the HPOP pressure was low with and high duty cycle%. so I ran a test through the ICP port with shop air and found a massive air leak through injector 2 and 4. I took off the HPOP and found brass type material that was clogging the edge filter. what do you think it might be?
Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Ford
5/30/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 18 days ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The brass is going to be a bushing coming apart somewhere. The cam bearing oil is what fills the high-pressure oil reservoir so I would start there and at the HPOP to see if your brass is from one of those.

The air leak is most likely injector seals gone bad.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

It is possible to be the internal parts of the HPOP, I have never had one apart.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Me neither. But I didn’t see deposits of brass anywhere else but in the HPOP. And it’s not like it was running low on oil. My theory is when I cleaned the HPOP I used brake cleaner and air to blow it out, then when I reinstalled it, it was so dry and also the reservoir was empty, that a dry cranking for a little while may have ruined that brass portion of the HPOP. What do you think?

Based on the steps you did in your follow up, I would agree it ran dry to long

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I agree. The new one should be fairly pre-lubed I’d imagine. I cleaned everything again. But this time I’m going to prime the new HPOP and the reservoir. I’ll let you know if it runs after.
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 17 days ago

When replacing a HPOP I soak it in new oil, install it, fill the HPOP reservoir, start the engine, then spray clean the HPOP with brake cleaner.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
you are saying I have to take the HPOP again after I run it?

I think you meant to say I have to take off the HPOP again after installing it.

The answer is no. I spray clean the exterior of the pump to remove the oil that was on the outside of it from me soaking it.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Oh I get what you are saying. I’ll do that for sure!

If more help is needed let me know, if not please rate my response when ready.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I put the new HPOP on and I still had a 65% duty cycle registering on the scan tool and the pressure only built up to about 150 max. I performed another air leak test through the ICP port and heard noise under the left side valve cover. I took it off and there was air coming through the return side of the number six injector. Now, out of that return line was brass material. I thinking it make the plunger inside the injector stuck open, hence air passing through the return. Is there any way to flush the oil rails? Or do you think I have a bad engine bearing going bad somewhere and it will continue to create brass material?
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 14 days ago

Do you know what the base engine oil pressure is?

To flush the HPO system you remove the injectors. PLufg the holes where they were with rags, remove the lines from the HPOP and apply air there.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my INFO REQUEST / ANSWER in return for the fees you have already paid. I want those fees to benefit you and me. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent 5-star service you're pleased with, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.

Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
my engine is shot. Not shot but I have to rebuild it. The brass material was from a bearing (s)in the engine. Not the HPOP .
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 days ago

I hate that for you.

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Someone sabotaged it and put metal shavings from a brake lathe in the oil filler cap. I took off the right hand side valve cover and found several handfuls of that stuff in there. I was so disappointed

I can imagine. I hate to hear that.

Is there anything else I can attempt to help with on this matter?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician