Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine will turn over real slow sometimes after running it a…

Customer Question
Engine will turn over...

Engine will turn over real slow sometimes after running it a while and then shutting it off and then trying to restart 1990 ford f 150 5.0 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

No check engine light on, it will start from a cold start, but if you shut it off after driving awhile and hen restart it turns over real slow and wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I could fix it myself and save some money that would be great

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/30/2018
Ford Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
There's two options that could be causing this, either the starter is getting heat soaked and it's so hot that the heat is interfering with the starter itself, or when the starter cable is getting hot it's actually building excessive resistance and it's cranking slowly because you're losing voltage over the large cable to the starter.Did you what you want to do is get a voltmeter and set it to DC voltage and then put one lead on the positive battery post and the other lead to the large wire on the starter and then have somebody crank the vehicle when this is happening and that reading is the amount of volts that you're losing over that cable and if it's much more than a few tenths of a volt then you'll want to fabricate yourself a new harness and replace the starter harness. If that's not the case you want to do the same test with the small wire at the starter put it one lead at the positive battery post and put the other lead at the small wire on the starter and again if you're losing much more than a couple tenths of a bolt you're going to want to replace that wire from the starter relay to that solenoid.Now I just want to explain a little bit how the website works because a lot of people now that there's this membership thing think that because they made a membership and because they paid a deposit that they've taken care of paying for the service.The way the site works is if you don't hit accept next to my name this site keeps your entire deposit and all the money you've spent and experts don't even pay in an hourly minimum wage so a lot of people have been inadvertently stiffing the experts on the site lately.If you want to wait and see if my diagnosis is correct that's fine but we get paid once a month and so I need to try to get through any except by tomorrow, you can always ask for more help even after accepting, and even if I'm wrong you can ask for a refund but I'm not wrong. If it's not a voltage drop over the starter cable than the starter itself is faulty.