Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Mustang GT- my A/C has an intermittent problem with…

Customer Question
2011 Mustang GT- my...

2011 Mustang GT- my A/C has an intermittent problem with working fine in warm ambient air like 70-80 degrees...then not working in very hot air like 81-100 degrees like Summer in Florida.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?

Coolant was changed 9 mos ago and is at proper level. Plrinlem started 3 years ago and this year is much worse. Now it does not work at all at hot ambient levels. If my black car has interior temp of 150 degrees after being parked, but it is less than 80 degrees outside. I can start driving and the air will not work until I let the windows down... because the max air will recirculate the interior air?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just started today because I am going to SC next month and that is where the condition started. Because last time it reached 105 degrees outside air

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont want to start part swapping like the guy above and not god problem. I want a mechanic who knows hat to systematically diagnose to find actual cause and determine to one part or parts that are the root cause and just fix it at one service visit. My Ford Dealer always charged a huge diagnostic charge then applies it to the fix. If I know the cause, I can fix it myself

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/30/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

OK first we need to get a set of auto a/c gauges on the system when your having your problem to see what the gauge needles are doing and what pressures the system is at

Do it yourself mechanic but below avg on A/C systems. I used to charge my AC system back in the 70s and 80s when it was Freon but have not done anything sense. Also I do not own the AC gauges. I was hoping that you’ve done enough diagnostics a BAC that you could pinpoint my problem as a relay or temperature gauge or some sort of items that control The ambient air to the inside air out the car
Prefer to not call you, Ford Mechanic 01

with what you have going on we could take a educated guess but its best to actually diagnose the issue with a set of gauges and go from there, you can get a set at harborfreight for 50$ good tool to have if you r working on your own stuff

Can you diagnose from my symptoms, or will this be a part swapping exercise?
If I call you for 26.00 and don’t have the gauges, how will that save me $?
I guess I am going to the dealer after all

ok first the calls prompts are automated as stated in the beginning statement that I made did you read that? and second no one can diagnose the issue from what your saying, we need actual numbers from the gauges

Someone on the internet has had intermittent A/C on a Ford Mustang - I guess I will do more research
Thank you for your service. I am ready to rate yiu

should be ready now, if money is a issue you can get a set of gauges at the auto store for a free rental and we can check pressures that way

You gave the standard Mechanic answer, same as going to the dealer so you did your job.
I will give you the top rating so you get paid
How do I send the rating?
Me Mechanic, I cancelled my service today so please send me the form to rate you.
Thank you
From Arthur Zelenak
Are we done?
we are done!