Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My E450 Ford super duty starts but only runs at about 200…

My E450 Ford super...

My E450 Ford super duty starts but only runs at about 200 rpm. this is a V-10 on a motorhome. You can push on the gas but no response. after a while I am able to get it to rev up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it myself. We just bought this motorhome and everything worked fine when we drove it home. after sitting in the drive for a few days I went to start it and it would not fire up right away. I just wanted to see if anyone out there ran into this problem and what they needed to do to fix.

5/30/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

What year model?

Any warning lights on while running?

Does this low rpm occur on every start cold and hot?

How long must it run to run well?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
2006 Ford E450. No warning lights. When it starts it is barely running, This goes on for 3 or 4 times before it seems to warm up enough to rev up to normal. This happens on cold starts only. It runs fine after this.

I feel like in your case the MAF and throttle need to be cleaned as a first attempt in addressing this concern. If that does not help next we need to monitor the fuel pressure on a cold start. Can you do those?

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
If the MAF and throttle need to be cleaned wouldn't the engine not function properly after it's warmed up as well? Same as for fuel pressure. I guess my question is whether or not this is a common problem with this type of V-10 engine?

This is not a common issue. Once running things can change from heat, vibration, and parts moving.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician