Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How does the actual steering gear need to be replaced in a…

Customer Question
How does the actual...

How does the actual steering gear need to be replaced in a 2013 Ford Explorer with 120,000 miles on it. To the tune of $2500.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

What fluids?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nevermind

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/29/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need. The Web Site will prompt a phone call , I'll let you know if it's needed.

Why is the steering gear being replaced?

Thx, It looks like this has been an issue with the power steering according to internet research. When I turn the wheel, a scraping sound is heard and no alerts have popped up. Ford dealer said the steering gear needed to be replaced. It's not covered under any recalls..... I said why not? It's seems to be ongoing problem amongst Ford owners.

Failing steering gears on the Explore are common and you are correct, there are no recalls. That being said, their price is on the high side for sure. A new steering gear from Ford list for $1122. with park assist and $903 without park assist. The labor to remove and replace it calls for 3.9 hours on an AWD and 1.8 on a FWD. Either way they are overcharging for this repair.

Sounds like they have me by the short hairs.

You can usually get a remanufactured steering gear for much less and they work just as well. Any good auto shop can do this repair besides the dealer. I think if it were me, I would get a second opinion along with a new estimate.