Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 89 Ford E350 7.5L that won’t start we replaced the…

Customer Question
I have an 89...

I have an 89 Ford E350 7.5L that won’t start we replaced the ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor to no avai.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No corrosion it’s a new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am 400 mi from home with it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trying to fix it myself it’s a camper van

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 29 days ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

do you have a test light to do some tests??

Roy

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
We drove it 100 mi and ran out at gas. We put gas into it twice. No issues for another 300 mi then in the last 5 mi we had to restart it roughly 15 times to it to the campsite. Where it is parked. The engine was extremely hot so we thought that the thermostat was bad causing early fuel detonation. And we also thought that some crud in the bottom of the tank messed up the fuel filter. So the first set of repairs was the thermostat and the fuel filter. After this was done the Van wouldn’t start at all. So then we were checking for spark since there is fuel pressure all the way up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. We have no spark on any cylinder so I replaced the ignition coil and the distributor cap and rotor. Still no spark and no spark coming from the new coil. Please help.

ok, again do you have a test light to do some tests??

Roy

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Not exactly but if it is imperative to buy one I can

you need to test for voltage at the positive side of the coil with the key on. if there is voltage then go to the negative side and crank the engine. the test light should flash. if it does, that is a coil issue. if it does not then the module is not working. that may mean a distributor pick up or module may be the failure.

if you do not have voltage to the positive side of the coil, then it may be the ignition switch.

Roy

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Could it be a crankshaft position sensor

you have a distributor. there is no crank sensor. too early for one.

Roy

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Unfortunately I am not working out the van at the moment so do I need a multimeter, or just a test light

a volt meter will not show if the module is working. thats why you need a test light.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Also where are the fuse boxes located I could only find one by the driver footwell

just the one under the dash. that is not the issue.

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Could the problem be the ICM
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 28 days ago

yes, thats why you are going to test. it could be that or the distributor pick up

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Where is the distributor pickup located

inside the distributor. you have to remove the distributor and remove the shaft to remove it.

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
the distributor pick up was bad and I replaced that and now as we are driving anytime we go down hill it back fires real bad and then dies. It always restarts after.

did you reset the timing correctly??

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I think so it idles fine and goes through the rpms fine

that does not mean it is correct. you need a timing light to set it.

if it is retarded, it will back fire when you release the gas pedal and slowing down.

Glad to hear you found the no spark issue.

Roy

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I don’t have a timing light

does it have a vacuum advance on the distributor??

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I don’t know what to look for

you took out the distributor to do the pick up???

Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 26 days ago

I got you the info for getting you running and would like to be rated for that part of the question. this is the only way I get paid from the site for my answers.

Roy

Roy