Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 ford f150 5.4 3valve I am aggravated about…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 ford f150 5.4 3valve I am aggravated about I've changed everything under the sun and still having issues

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

It just turned over a hundred thousand I did the timing chains cam phasers all new sensors coils plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've done everything to engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to get this figured out so I can stop having to work on it every weekend

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

what is your exact issue and what have you replaced??

any codes???

I've got an 06 ford f150 xlt with 5.4 it's just now got a hundred thousand on it I've did timing changed cam sensors crank and mass air and coils vct sensors fuel pressure switch oil pump and spark plugs and o2 sensors cats I'm still getting the diesel sound when coming up to a stop at times or when I put it in reverse after driving I've had my full of the 5.4

ok the 5.4 3 valve is not a good motor.

is the noise coming from the front of the motor??

I ask because it could be a carbon knock if it is not from the front

was there any codes??

Ford was recommending replacing the engine with the noises in the front of the engine.

Roy

You see I've replaced the vct sensors twice now when I unplug the sensors I have no issues with the diesel sound but when I plug them in I get it I've got a lot of money rapped up in this in the last two months there are days it runs like it should and there are days I'm ready to blow it up

ok

again, are there or was there any codes??

No codes I use full synthetic oil 520 with motor craft filter always have

the VCT on the cam gear are common failures. it is a timing issue.

some info for you to read.

Roy

ALLDATA Diagnostic Bulletin

RELATED VEHICLES: 2004 - 2010 Expedition, F-150, F-250, F-350, Mark LT, Navigator with 5.4L SOHC 3V. Related vehicles have similar information.

SUMMARY: P0012 - Variable Camshaft Timing Over-retarded (Bank 1) The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the VCT position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position. Camshaft timing improperly set Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber VCT solenoid valve stuck open Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit) DTC P1383 is a check of the VCT unit. Testing should not include electrical checks. The engine will idle rough, start hard and may stall.

P0022 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2) The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the VCT position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.

P0340, P0341, P0344, P0345, P0346, P0349 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Codes. The test fails when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor.

P0300-P0308, Misfire Codes. The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.

Multiple Variable Cam Timing (VCT) codes, along with misfire codes and engine noise suggest a cam timing problem. Many technicians have reported problems with aftermarket VCT solenoids, sensors, engine oil, and oil filters.

RELATED TSB:

• TSB 05-10-15, May 30, 2005. Some 2004-2005 F-150/250/350 and 2005 Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with a 5.4L 3V engine, built through April 25, 2005, may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with misfire diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300 through P0308 and/or P0316, and a spark knock. It may be necessary to replace the long or short block if damaged, and/or install latest level spark plugs.
  • TSB 06-19-8, October 02, 2006. Some vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3-valve or 5.4L 3-valve engine may exhibit a ticking and/or knocking noise after reaching normal operating temperature, or a rattle upon starting. The noise may be described as ticks, taps, knocks, or thumps. In some cases the noise may be a normal characteristic of these engines. In other cases the noise may require further investigation. Sorting out and defining the noise as reported by the customer is important to successfully diagnose and/or repair the condition.
  • TSB 06-9-11, May 15, 2006. Some vehicles equipped with 4.6L, 5.4L, and 6.8L 3-valve engines built between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006 may exhibit a loud ticking noise in the valve train area. This may be caused by a stuck/collapsed lash adjuster.
  • TSB 10-18-4, November 27, 2010. Some 2009-2010 F-150 and F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3V or 5.4L 3V engine, Expedition and Navigator vehicles may exhibit a low frequency knocking noise from the engine at hot idle only. The noise is predominately heard from the right front wheel well area and/or the right hand (RH) engine cam cover. This noise may be generated from the RH variable camshaft timing (VCT) phaser assembly. This procedure was created to diagnose the RH VCT phaser assembly.
  • TSB 14-0114, June 3, 2014. Some 2004-2010 F-150, 2005-2010 F-Super Duty 250/350, 2005-2013 Expedition, Navigator and 2006-2008 Mark LT vehicles equipped with 5.4L 3V engine may exhibit an intermittent rattle noise while driving from idle up to 1200 RPM when the engine is at operating temperature. In severe cases, a rough idle and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0022, P0021, P0340, and/or P0341 may be stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). Replace the left and right variable cam timing (VCT) solenoids.

PROBABLE CAUSES:

• Engine Assembly Worn (Low Oil Pressure)
  • Variable Cam Timing (VCT) Solenoids
  • Timing Chain and Related Components Worn
  • Engine Oil and Filter Contamination

RELATED COMMUNITY CASES:

• P0012, P0022, P0341, P0346, Intermittent Rough Idle
  • P0012, P0022, P0300, P0305, P0307, P0316, P0340, Lack of Power
  • P0012, P0016, P0300, P0303, P0304, Rough Idle, Engine Misfire, No Power
  • P0012, Intermittent engine misfire and runs rough at idle
  • P0012, Runs rough, wants to stall
  • Intermittent rough idle, P0012, P0016
  • Misfire, DTCs P0012, P0022, P0345 and P0349
  • P0011, P0012, P0022, crank no start
  • P0012, P0022, P0340, P0345, Rough idle, engine noise
  • P0012, P0022, P0341, P0346, Misfires and ticks
  • P0012, MIL on, runs rough

DIAGNOSIS:

You Tube - 2008 Ford F150, P0012 & P0022 codes

IMPORTANT: Review and follow all relevant Technical Service Bulletins first. Determine overall engine mechanical condition. Most of the repair recommendations for these symptoms are very expensive.

1. Review the vehicle maintenance history. Verify the engine oil filter is an OEM Motorcraft. Verify the engine oil viscosity, oil type (regular or synthetic), oil level, and condition. Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil or equivalent is recommended.
--> If any problems are found make the necessary repairs and retest.
--> If NO problems are found proceed to the next step.

2. Connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify the engine oil pressure at idle under normal operating temperatures, is at least 30 psi. The factory dash oil pressure gauge is not a real gauge and should not be used.
--> If the oil pressure is NOT ok, inspect the camshaft and crankshaft journals for wear, or restricted oil passages. Also inspect the oil pump for wear and pick-up tube for debris or contamination. Make the necessary repairs and retest.
--> If the oil pressure is ok, proceed to the next step.

You Tube - JASPER 4.6L/5.4L 3-Valve VVT Oil Pump Update

3. Verify the operation of the Variable Cam Timing (VCT) solenoid and check for a stuck or sticking solenoid valve caused by contamination. If the valve is stuck, check the spider bracket for contamination before replacing the VCT solenoids.
--> If NO problems are found inspect the VCT phasers, timing chain, guides, tensioners, and oil passages, for wear, contamination, or restrictions.

Every thing is all new the only things I haven't replaced is injectors which I've got a new set of those as well I got my vct sensors from ford at a 100 a pop I didn't go cheap on any of the parts I purchased I went with a mellin high volume oil pump

it is not an oil pump. it is not the sensors. the vct on the cam is the issue.

definitely not the injectors

Roy

what do I do every thing was cleaned when it was apart no blockedge I've always used good oil and I'm tired of throwing money at it I would like to enjoy my truck with out having to work on it so much so what is your suggestion aside of spending another 5k for a new motor

I will opt out and open this up to other guys and see if they have another answer other than what was recommended by me and Ford.

Roy

Ok so will they respond to me on here

yes, if someone else picks it up.

Roy

Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 2 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello, different expert here. My name is James
Is the pcm throwing any codes when His happens? When you had the valve covers off did you remove any of the camshaft retaining caps?
Hey James my name is*****'m stumped on my 06 f150 5.4
all the roller followers were pulled out to and inspected the cans were checked I've got almost 5k invested with everything I have done I took a few days on this just to make sure everything was done right everything was tourqed to spec I didn't skimp on any parts that I purchased
No codes either
I just put another new set of vct last night and its still doing the diesel chug but not as bad as it was or as frequent but the whole reason I had to pull the motor apart was for the famous cam phasers and tensioner and chains but I replaced all sensors to while I was at it I didn't want to have any issues for a long time but low and behold I'm still having them
It actually sounds like you’ve covered everything. The phasers were redesigned for 06. If it’s got good oil pressure and the heads aren’t scored where the camshafts ride, it’s almost always the vct solenoids.
I don’t have the exact part number in front of me, but the redesigned solenoids start with and 8
Those came from ford, correct?
I replaced both cam sensors and crank sensor and mass air flow and fuel pressure switch and I went with the acell coils motor craft plugs I've got new injectors for it that I haven't put in yet the only tick that comes from the motor is the sound of the injector cycle this truck has got me stumped is it possible that the computer needs to be refreshed or up dated on the other thing I can unplug the vct and the chugging problem quits so that's why I purchased two new ones but I'm now at 400 dollars just in vct sensors I just want to be able to enjoy my truck with no issues
Are you just as stumped as me
I thought about maybe the computer but I'm not for sure
Ford Mechanic: jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** you still need help with this question?

I've been there two people and neither one has given me any insight
I need to know if there is something that I am over looking

I hate to be the bear of bad news, i see you have put a lot of time and money into your vehicle with no success. Since there are no codes or check engine light coming on, this is telling us you have or had a restriction in the oil passages on this motor, when this occurs it will cause damage to the valve train. We see this happen all the time on this engine, unfortunately you are going to have to tear into the engine and fix the damage or replace the engine.

It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please take the time to give me a positive rating before leaving the site today

I put an oil pressure gauge on it it's up around 52 to 55 at idle I made valve covers so I could run the engine with out getting oil every where every spot that needs oil on top is getting plenty I have no tick to the upper end except for injectors cycling everything else look good I had a cam phasers that went bad along with tensioner wo I just went ahead and replaced everything with Hope's of not having to do anything mager for another hundred thousand

Without being there, based on what you are telling us, i can only tell you what we see in the field everyday on these vehicles. I will opt out and maybe someone else can tell you something else.

Ok try for your opinion I worked in a ford dealership for 6 years but it was back when the 5.4 were just starting to come out I had to replace some new ones when the king ranch came out from factory defects
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago
eric remington

C​hange the oil again and try to add some STP and see if that makes a difference.

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

l​ucas oil additive...does it sound more like timing chain or lifter s?

I put a bottle of the hyper lube in plus changed the oil yesterday again I only use full synthetic in all my vehicles so I will see how that dose
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Thicker oil older motor

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Let me know....

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

5w20 is like water good for fuel mileage and cold climates and close tolerances...but we have an aging motor

It's not ticking the only ticking I'm getting if from injector cycle there is no knock or anything I just put new timing chains cam phasers tensioners oil pump all new sensors
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Do a couple of GM top engine cleaners(use that product) Induction services....add a few bottles like 3 techron concentrated fuel injector cleaner....and a gallon of dry gas...Im not kidding....what comes out of that injector in a proper spray pattern is critical......Use high test only with non ethanol and change oil every 2000 miles for next three intervals. My approach is radical because you have already spent 5k

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Alot of water ends up in the tank due to evaporation leaky fuel tanks at gas station etc.

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

fuel tank sits on a quarter tank on hot summer day what happens in the tank...YOu r tank is now 13 years old

I've got new injectors to put in it but the problem is at the vct sensor I'm on my second set from ford and so far it's ok but before i could unplug the vct sensors and the diesel chug would go away so i changed oil again put a bottle of hyper lube in and i will see how it turns out
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

P​erhaps contaminated fuel would not cause a problem if valve timing was different...which you did change

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

I​f that doesn't work try my suggestions...just sayin :)

Ok will try
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Have you researched pcm software updates. That is another avenue to pursue if all else fails

I asked about that in earlier conversations with the other mechanics and know one ever responded to it I thought about that as a possibility I had one of the guys on here try to tell me that I needed a new motor when it is not acting up it runs awesome so I think I can rule out engine
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

try the suggestions and I will look into pcm updates

Ok awesome
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

I am sure you have already seen this

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

www.siaelec.com Contact these people in regards ***** ***** bulletins or contact Ford motor co. USA...for a list of software updates

Ok thanks for info I will check with them
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

T​hey are good they have done repairs for me in past....Maybe there is a way to tweek valve timing , or perhaps my fuel suggestions may help too

Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Do you still need help? If not PLEASE RATE MY SERVICE otherwise I DO NOT GET PAID...THANK YOU...IF YOU STILL NEED HELP LET ME KNOW