Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2004 F150 4X4 for my son. It has 183000

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 2004 F150 4X4 for my son. It has 183000 miles is a one owner and has always been professionally maintained. It has a growling sound that is more evident at deceleration. it runs and accelerates well.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

I have not checked the fuel filters. The transmission was serviced 40000 miles ago. Never been replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just starting to try to figure out what it might be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also noticed that the fluid in the power steering is pulsating. I a thinking maybe the pump is making the noise.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Thanks

Do you hear the growling noise when the truck is not moving and you are just revving the engine in park?

Seems to be more when moving

Ok. Likely the p/s pump is not the problem. More commonly a wheel bearing while give you the noise that you are describing.

As far as the fluid pulsating in the power steering what do you think that might be?

DO you have any symptoms with the steering? Or are you just looking into the reseviour?

no symptons

Its normal to see fluid returning into the reseviour. Sometimes you will barely see it move, sometimes it might be swirling a bit, but If you have no symptoms I would consider it normal.

Ok we will start off jacking it up and checking the front wheels.

Yes. They may not have play but will growl when spinning the wheel.