Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am trying to remove the front left cv axle i cannot get…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to remove the front left cv axle i cannot get the hub off the splines i tried a hammer ,i put a puller on it no good, i tried heating it up still wont come off i need suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

I am trying to change the left front cv axle i tried a hammer ,no good i put a puller on it still wont come off, i tried hearing it ,no good any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2008 ford escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried a hammer ,i put a puller on it no go, i tried heat still wont come off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, you have gone throught the usual methods of removing a cv axle that its splines are corroded inside the wheel hub. The only remaining option at this point, which I have had to do many times, is to remove the steering knuckle with cv shaft and set in a vertical press and press the cv axle out of the steering knuckle.

If you dont have a vertical press, you can try setting the steering knuckle in a bench vise and then using a sledgehammer to knock it out. If no go, then you will need to run it by a shop to have them press it out for you. Most NAPAs also have a vertical press and can do this for you

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Unless you have another question regarding this, at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE /3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.