Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 ford raptor it has transmission jerking when…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 2014 ford raptor it has transmission jerking when downshifting mostly from 5th to 3rd gear how do i fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Car has this problem since 2k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Ford?

2014 model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done nothing so far dont know what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

This is a manual transmission, correct?

You are doing a 5-3 shift to slow down or accelerate?

If slowing down, are you too aggressive on the clutch release?

Gary

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Its an automatic transmission , doing 5 -3 to accelerate
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
https://youtu.be/YfHGNRUz2oA
Its exactly this video
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago

Its not jerking, it's a squawk.

You need to have the truck inspected at a trans shop or Ford.

Try to avoid the 5-3 for now.

Gary

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Its only squawk on normal operating temp but when its still cold its ok

How many miles now?

I would take it to a Ford dealer.

Gary

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
5k miles only problem is im from overseas
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 22 days ago

Yes, I see you are from the Phillipines.

And you have no Ford dealers over there?

That does make it difficult.

I don't think I can help you further.

I will opt out now, perhaps another tech can help you.

I wish you well.
Gary

Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 19 days ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question. You may receive a request from the website for a phone call. I am not currently set up for phone calls at this time.

This squawk/harshness is caused by the overdrive clutch friction discs. Usually adding two bottles of Motorcraft® 6R ATF Additive XL-16 takes care of it, but not always. We have had to replace the discs on a few of them to cure it. This requires removal and disassembly of the transmission. You need to allow several hundred miles of driving after adding the additive to see if it worked or not.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go, using the stars on the rating page. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. All of your payment is retained by justanswer without a positive rating. Proceeds are only released to the expert with a positive rating. Bonuses are appreciated! Thank you!