Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Electrical issues. 2007 mustang convertible 4.0. Power amp…

Customer Question
Electrical issues Mechanic's Assistant:...

Electrical issues

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2007 mustang convertible 4.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Power amp blew and now random electrical problems occurring. windows don't work. warning lights on dash come on and off randomly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Amp has been disconnected problems remain

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fuses ok

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The grounds all seem ok. The voltage to the PCM is fine. Convertible roof not operating. problems seem computer related. Are all these functions controlled by the PCM? or is there another computer
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have disconnected the negative or a period of time in an effort to reset the PCM
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Does the pcm need to be replaced or are there other tests?
5/27/2018
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 22 days ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.
Have you checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes? In the engine compartment and under the dash?
When you say power amp are you referring to an aftermarket amplifier?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Power and ground direct connection. Rem wire off interior fuse box number 6 (. Accessory delay). High energy input off of rear speakers. Amp blew and problems started
Ok gotcha. The SJB (smart junction box) in the mustang is really sensitive. There’s a chance you could have the sjb reprogrammed by the dealer (this works about 10% of the time) but it’s most likely going to need to be replaced.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Where is the smart junction box located. Is it part of the interior fuse box or pcm
It will need to be programmed, yes. The dealer can do that, or an independent shop with a Ford IDS laptop.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Is the pcm unlikely effected?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
What is the probably that the smart junction replacement will solve the issue?
The pcm is most likely fine
Given how you said the problem occurred, that you said all the fuses have been checked, and that some of the problems are intermittent, the SJB is the only likely and common cause.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
If I get one out of an auto wrecker same model. Would the programming still be required?
For 05-07 years water intrusion was a big problem which would damage the modules. This might be an issue with salvage yard vehicles.
The SJB needs to be programmed to communicate with the specific modules on your vehicle.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
If I install an exact match SJB can the vehicle be driven to be programmed or will it not start etc
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 21 days ago
for 2007 it should start, just be missing some electrical functions. The scan tools uploads data from the old
SJB then that one is removed and the new one installed, then the SJB is programmed with the vehicle info that came in the original. If you swap the new one in first, the original data can be downloaded from Ford’s server through the scan tool, but the dealer will have to do that for you.
6Bucs
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master