Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger pickup which has a bad fuel gage.

I have a 1994...

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger pickup which has a bad fuel gage. I'm told there is no replacement for it because of it's age. Your thoughts please. By the way , the gas gage worked good prior to putting in a new fuel pump. Since then another fuel pump put in as I was told that the first fuel pump was defective. Help I need my fuel gage working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

As I said , I replaced the original fuel pump twice and gas gage still not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?

Two new fuel pump replacements and a mechanic tried to do something to the gas gage by taking dash off and I know he used some electrical wire and said the gas gage will fluxuate when turning a curve, etc. nothing else has been done .The truck is in a repair shop now and that's when I was told I need another gas gage and ther's none to be found.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that there was absolutely no problem with my fuel gage prior to installing a new fuel pump. that's when my problem began with gas gage not working. Two fuel pumps have been installed and truck runs great, just no gas gage.

5/5/2018
Ford Mechanic: mechanic110, Auto Technician replied 4 years ago
mechanic110
mechanic110, Auto Technician

Hello and welcome to our site. My name is***** will do my best to assist you with your question concerning your 1994 Ford Ranger.

I have a couple of questions for you that will help with my diagnosis of your fuel gauge.

1. What engine is in your Ranger? (2.5,3.0 or 4.0L)

2. Was the entire fuel pump assembly replaced which includes the sending unit or was it just the pump only replaced without a new sending unit?

I just need to know those answers before starting a diagnosis.

Thanks

Steve

a Steve, It's a 2.5 engine, I think. However this engine isn't the original engine that came in the truck.
I bought a new fuel pump and whatever came with the new fuel pump was suppose to be put in. Nothing to my recollection was said about a sending unit. I'm thinking it's a sending unit or a resistor perhaps. Your thoughts please.I also asked another question, yesterday, about another truck I have. It's a 1997 Nissan ,king cab, pickup. I haven't received an answer, yet. can someone answer my question I asked on the !997 Nissan pickup?

Hello again.

More than likely the arm that attaches to the sending unit was slightly bent during the removal and installation process of the pump. It's very easy to do if the mechanic isn't careful when removing the assembly to replace the pump. I've been guilty of doing it myself. I doubt there is a problem with the gauge in the dash being bad. I would think the mechanic would know that. Sure wish I could see it in person.

There are 2 ways to fix the issue:

1. Take the pump assembly back out and inspect the arm. There will be a cover that the arm snaps into. Inside the cover is where the contacts are for controlling the gauge. More than likely the contacts aren't touching each other. The fix is to realign the contacts by slightly bending the moving contact with a screwdriver and make sure it's touching the stationary contact which will look like a small coil of wires. Once this is done plug the sending unit in to the vehicle wiring. Turn the key on and slowly move the arm up and observe the gauge while doing so. It should now be fixed.

2. Replace the tank sending unit that the fuel pump is inside of. Any parts store can get this for you. They are not obsolete at all.

I hope this helps you out.

I'd sure like to help you out with your Nissan but I'm only allowed to answer questions concerning domestic cars and trucks. Hopefully a technician on the foreign side will come along shortly to help you. They're normally pretty quick on answering.

Again I hope this helps you out and thanks for choosing our site

Take Care

Steve

mechanic110
mechanic110, Auto Technician

Hello again

Thanks for the positive rating. I appreciate it. Diagnosing via internet is tough to do at times.

If you have any other questions concerning your vehicle please feel free to ask and request me personally and I'll do my best to assist you.

Thanks again for choosing our site.

Take Care

Steve