Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It appears to be locked out. When I turn the key, it does…

Customer Question
It appears to be...

It appears to be locked out. When I turn the key, it does not start and a symbol of a car with a padlock through it appears in my dash lights. 2011 Ford Escape.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes. It does not appear related tot he battery, but I can try to jump it. What does the symbol indicate?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing much. I checked Fuses. Checked battery (I can get sparks from jumper cable). I cannot turn on the radio, the lights flash and nothing happens.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also tried locking and unlocking hte car with the key. Same results.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
5/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

When that symbol show on the dash it means the theft system is keeping the vehicle from starting.

It sounds like either the chip in the key that sends a signal to the dash has died or the device in the dash that receives the signal from the key has died.

First, do you have a spare key you could try?