Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a 2007 ford expedition el limited with about 140k…

Customer Question
Hi. i've got a...

Hi. i've got a 2007 ford expedition el limited with about 140k on it that has potentially a few brake issues. first, the abs light and traction control light have come on, intermittently a few times, one of those times being in the snow and i had difficulty controlling the vehicle (excessive wheel spin and loss of traction, but no loss of power). the traction control light doesn't respond to the traction control button, either, in this situation. i was able to read a code c1095 shortly thereafter. also, the brake pedal is not overly firm either. so that is my main problem. my second issue might be related - the car experiences varying degrees of brake surge, almost as if the rotors were warped i suppose. but it isn't constant - sometimes it is really bad (almost gives you whip last as you are slowing to stop at a light) and other times virtually nonexistent. oddly enough when the surge is really bad in order to get any relief you have to press real hard on the pedal (ie stop quite fast); that will help the surge to subside. the front brake pads have about a half life left and the and the rotors are a year or so old. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS inside of a circle on the dash and then the car with squiggly tracks on the communication screen

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition EL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have been working on it my self yes. i haven't had lots of success with testing the abs wheel speed sensors, partly because all of the test schemes have been for passive sensors but it seems as though my are active. i have pulled the front tires, calipers, rotors and sensors to look for damage and such but they all seem to be in good working order. the front sensors read about 4.2 M ohms and drivers rear reads about 6.2 M ohms. thats

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
5/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Your code indicates the ABS module and hydraulic control unit needs to be replaced. This failure can cause all of the symptoms you described. After replacing this part a scan tool is needed to bleed the system as well as to program the module.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

i have read that the c1095 can be registered by a few separate faults. what is your general confidence in culprit being isolated to those two? are they generally sold together or are they completely separate? any ballpark idea of cost for this?
is the ABS pump a part of either of these two? if not, would that need to be replaced as well?

You do purchase them together.

Guesstimate part cost 900$

The pump, module, and HCU are mounted together.

I can provide the Ford diag steps if you want to do them and confirm the repair needed.

sure i would take the diagnostic steps off of your hands
what needs to be done to program the module? would a specialized scan tool be required, or is it sufficient to have one that can read and erase codes and manipulate the valves on the module?

Use this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5ujtwiwh55neav/1095.pdf?dl=0

The tool needed for programming needs to be able to get updates from Ford.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris