Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

P0488 code. P0488 throttle position control senser its been…

P0488 throttle position control...

P0488 throttle position control senser its been reset multiple times and egr valve has been replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2005 excursion 6.0L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Truck mostly runs good but under load it will hesitate and flutter pouring out grey smoke till u let off throttle yes trying to fix myself as most mechs here do not like the 6.0l

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is no noticeable causes to make it act up(speed,temp,rpm,ect)

5/2/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Have the PCM reprogrammed

ok

let me know if that takes care of the issue and Please note that customer satisfaction and getting your issue taken care of is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

do you have any other ideas in the meantime as it will prob be a week before I can get it in
and I was hoping you could have more info than just send it into the dealer

sure, standby

Just read up on a recall for EBP sensor and connector

If there is no change in manifold air pressure, when the PCM opens the EGR valve, disconnect the vacuum line from the EGR. Then connect the handheld vacuum pump directly to the EGR. Next, start your vehicle’s engine and run at idle. Slowly apply the vacuum to the EGR valve by pumping the hand held pump. If the EGR opens and the engine does not stall, then you know that the EGR passages are clogged and need to be cleared. you replaced the valve already but did you clean out the passages that it mounts to?

this has nothing to do with your fault code

there are fault codes and TSB's for those fault codes for a reason. if the EBT is not faulting then its not the problem

I'm recommending a reprogramming of the PCM. I'm not just "sending" you to a dealer

Ill let someone else chime in on this. Good luck

Ok thanks
2004/05 emissions and EBP sensor recall 05E15
All the symptoms match what is happening with my truck
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Do you still need some help with this code?

Have it booked in for tues
In the meantime I disconnected the egr connector and in acts up less
The ford service guy was hesitant on the update fixing the issues

Y​es you are correct, I seriously doubt the PCM reflash will fix this concern, since that TSB came out in 05', I can only suspect you already have the latest calibration in your PCM already. I would believe you have a either a wire problem to the EGR throttle plate, or a bad throttle plate itself. Here is the location. Click here

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
I disconnected throttle plate as suggested and it solved my problems
I had the egr unplugged as well before
What do I need to replace to fix my issue or is it safe to just leave it unplugged as I wish to keep this truck long term

I​ have seen them unplugged with no problems, or you can unbolt the throttle plate and replace, there is no programming necessary on this part replacement.