Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1988 f150 dual tanks I have replaced all 3 fuel…

Customer Question
I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 f150 dual tanks I have replaced all 3 fuel pumps ,fuel resesvoir ,filter.when I'm on rear tank it will pull out gas and put it front tank until it overflows

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Fuel pump inside frame yes and both in tank pumps

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm trying to. Just replaced pumps reservoir and filter

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
5/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. The problem is likely a leaky fuel tank diverter valve, and instead of closing off the front tank when the rear tank is selected, it will pump fuel into the front tank from the rear. It looks like this. and is on the frame rail.

Have you replaced it or is it original? thank you.