Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 taurus that will kill battery within 8 hrs ...

Customer Question
new battery new alternator new...
I have a 1998 taurus that will kill battery within 8 hrs ... new battery new alternator new starter after troubleshooting i found when i remove the #1 maxi fuse everything stays up. It’s labled as distribution. Any idea what that feeds too?
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Ford
4/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 20 days ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

The maxi fuse powers the GEM so it's not very easy to narrow it down to one item since the GEM powers all sorts of circuits on this car. Your best bet is to start testing as follows:

1. Leave the driver's door open and leave the vehicle alone for 60 minutes without touching the vehicle.
Within the 60-minute wait period, the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) should enter a sleep mode and the mA drain should drop to less than 50 mA.

2. If the courtesy lights are still illuminated after 60 minutes, the GEM will need to be replaced because it is failing to enter "sleep mode".

3. If the GEM enters the sleep mode and the courtesy lights go out with the total battery drain below 50 mA, everything is currently working properly.

4. If the courtesy lights go out during the 60-minute wait period, but the mA drain is still high unless the fuse is removed, remove the C247 and the C235 connections of the fuse box to verify that the high drain is still present and not associated to the White/Yellow (W/Y) wire feeding out either connector enroute to the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) or Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) module.

Also, the two most common places where we find a draw on these cars is the GEM or the radio. You might try pulling the radio fuse to check for draw there first.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have removed the power to the stereo ... thought i was onto something when i heard the cassette player running... but no luck lol

Good idea. In that case it's probably the GEM.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I’ve got the door open now to see if the sleep mode occurs.. where is the GEM located?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
can it be bought at a local auto parts store?

The GEM is on the back side of the under dash fuse box. I'm not sure if they have them at the parts stores for that year model. Let me see.

I'm not seeing it at and of the parts stores in my area. You might have to go to the dealer for it.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Do you have a Ford part number for the GEM ?

I'm showing 14B205

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok at about 45 minutes the lights cut off I still have a high amperage draw where is the c247 and c235 located?

C235 is a black 36-terminal connector of the fuse box.
C247 is a 27-terminal connector of the fuse box.

Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 19 days ago

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I am waiting for the new GEM to arrive and will update you then

Sounds good. Thanks!

Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 days ago

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician