Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Air bag light on my 2007 explorer sport trac stays on

Customer Question
Air bag light on...

Air bag light on my 2007 explorer sport trac stays on constantly

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

Not that i can tell

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the connection under the seat, tried disconnection of the battery and reconnection after 30 minutes to reset the light..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No...light intially goes out when starting, but then comes back on and stays on...

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 20 days ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

There are several things that could be causing the light to stay on. Honestly the most common is the spiral cable in the steering column. If you have lost anything that is controlled on the steering column or the steering wheel, that would be the first place to look.

Otherwise in all honestly it's a crap shoot without checking the codes. there are several sensors, seat belt pretensioners, crash zone sensors and the wiring, not to mention the air bags themselves it's better to have the codes read and save money repairing yourself, then tossing money at it to try and determine the cause, you could go broke. So, if you haven't seen anything obvious, start with a code. Post it here with me once you have it if you need to and I can help with more details then this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician