Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The scanner is reading that the cylinder #1 has a misfire I…

Customer Question
The scanner is reading...

The scanner is reading that the cylinder #1 has a misfire I change the ignition coil and the spark plug and it’s still shaking and has a strong smell of gas when I turn it on..

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes it has. It hesitate a bit

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2005 Ford Expedition XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I’m fixing it .. I’ve change the coil ignition and the spark plug on cylinder #1

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that will be it thank u

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
After I change the ignition coil I ran the scanner again and it read misfire cylinder #1
Hello I’m waiting for an answer
4/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Sorry about the wait

as you've already replaced the ignition parts, its possible that the fault is with the injector sticking open and flooding that cylinder?

what colour was the plug when you removed it?

if its black and sooty then I'd consider swapping the injector over to another cylinder to see if the fault moves with it - if it does then replace

if it doesn't may be wise to measure the compression pressures on this cylinder and a couple of others to check that they are all within 10-15 psi of each other

remove the new ignition coil that and put it on the next cylinder
Sorry. Yes the spark plug was black..

Hello

Well you could move the ignition coil as it could be at fault

but I was thinking to try moving the fuel injector next

I just remove my spark plug #1 and the plug smells like gas can you tell me if something else is wrong
was that my last answer I can get?

hello

no you can keep asking questions, until you're satisfied

I'd say to pull out the fuel injector from no. 1 and swap it with its neighbour

also check the fuel injector wiring harness for any breaks or shorts in the insulation as this can also lead to the injector being on all the time

Are the fuel injectors above where the spark plug are at.

Hello

yes the injectors are in the inlet manifold this video shows how on the 5.4 V8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtSfOhZYqYM

Hello mark .. it’s me again.. I switched the fuel injectors now I’m getting a P0300 random misfire now
Hello mark it’s me again.. I switched the fuel injectors I rescan it and I got a P0300 random misfire, now what could it be?
it might be that fuel injector cause now it move around right!