Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Draw on battery. Unsure how. 2000 mustang coupe 3.6. Tried…

Customer Question
Draw on battery Mechanic's...

Draw on battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Unsure how

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 mustang coupe 3.6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried new battery, and had alternator tested. Firestone says the PCM not going into sleep mode

Submitted: 16 days ago.Category: Ford
4/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 16 days ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Are you asking how to do a battery draw test yourself to find out what is the blame and what to fix?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
partly. If Firestone is right and the PCM is the root cause of the battery drain, how do I diagnose it to find the exact component to replace to prevent this from keep happening?
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I got a multimeter and pulled fuses looking for the draw. When I got to Maxi6 under the hood it dropped. Thats connected to the ECU. I believe the fuses associated with it are 1, 7, 13, 19, 25, 31, and 39. When I pulled 39, the drain stopped. This is related to the GEM module. Where do I go from here?

39 is a GEM module memory fuse. If the draw test was done accurate then it is the GEM module that is needing to be replaced.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
The GEM module contains many different components right? Could it not be any one of those that needs servicing and not the module itself?
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 15 days ago

The components the GEM controls are on a different circuit from the GEM. This fuse just powers the GEM.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Oh, I see. So you said "assuming the test was done correctly". I tested it by using a multimeter with one end on the negative battery terminal and one end on the negative battery cables that I disconnected from the terminal. When sitting there it was at 0.14 amps. When I pulled the 39 fuse it went to 0.00 amps. Obviously, I had to pull the fuse and close the door and wait for the dome light to turn off before reading the multmeter. Was the test done correctly enough to know for certain that the GEM module needs to be replaced to stop the drain?

When you opened the door you woke up a module. That takes 30 minutes for it to go back asleep. Here are the Ford steps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj38sdhow2qvaxq/battdrain00.pdf?dl=0

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 12 days ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician